SubjectRe: [RFC] scripts: kernel-doc: avoid warnings due to initial commented lines in file
On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 5:37 PM Jonathan Corbet <corbet@lwn.net> wrote:

> Lukas Bulwahn <lukas.bulwahn@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I wonder if we could extend kernel-doc (not your preferred option as
> > it seems) for a new dedicated warning message or maintain a separate
> > kernel-doc sanity checking script to emit a dedicated warning based on
> > some heuristics that suggests when a "header comment" is probably
> > unintentionally declared as a "kernel-doc comment" when it really
> > should not be.
> >
> > Jonathan, would you then prefer to have a separate kernel-doc sanity
> > checking script that then allows us to maintain checking for patterns
> > we already cleaned up?
>
> Having a warning in kernel-doc for "This comment starts with /** but
> isn't a kerneldoc comment" could be useful, I guess. That is the real
> problem, not the fact that it appears at the top of the file. I'm all
> for tools that help us to clean things up, but let's not add
> line-counting hacks to try to paper it over.

Yeah, and as this line-counting is really just a poor man's
heuristics, we might just be better to really turn this heuristics
into a dedicated cleanup warning script, then we can check for more
indicators, such as "does it contain the word Copyright" somewhere in
the kernel-doc comment, which tells us even more that this is not a
kernel-doc as we would expect it.

Aditya, would you like to try to turn this check into a separate script instead?

Lukas

  Last update: 2021-03-18 18:54    [W:0.183 / U:0.668 seconds]