SubjectRE: -Walign-mismatch in block/blk-mq.c
Date
From: Jens Axboe
> Sent: 10 March 2021 20:40
>
> On 3/10/21 1:33 PM, Nathan Chancellor wrote:

> >> It should not be hard to ensure that alignment without re-introducing
> >> the bloat. Is there some background on why 32-byte alignment is
> >> required?
> >>

> > This alignment requirement was introduced in commit 966a967116e6 ("smp:
> > Avoid using two cache lines for struct call_single_data") and it looks
> > like there was a thread between you and Peter Zijlstra that has some
> > more information on this:
> > https://lore.kernel.org/r/a9beb452-7344-9e2d-fc80-094d8f5a0394@kernel.dk/
>
> Ah now I remember - so it's not that it _needs_ to be 32-byte aligned,
> it's just a handy way to ensure that it doesn't straddle two cachelines.
> In fact, there's no real alignment concern, outside of performance
> reasons we don't want it touching two cachelines.
>
> So... what exactly is your concern? Just silencing that warning? Because
> there doesn't seem to be an issue with just having it wherever in struct
> request.

Can you silence it by adding an extra layer of 'struct'?
Something like:

struct [
struct {
rq_rype rq:
} __aligned(8);
};

So that 'rq' will be aligned, but itself doesn't have
the alignment constraint?

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

  Last update: 2021-03-11 14:43    [W:1.382 / U:0.008 seconds]