SubjectRe: Makefile: CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH passed quoted as argument to gcc
On Sun, Dec 05, 2021 at 02:54:05AM +0900, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 1:53 AM Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 5:13 AM Salvatore Bonaccorso <carnil@debian.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Andreas suggested to replace the
> > >
> > > KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(KBUILD_CFLAGS-y) $(CONFIG_CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH)
> > >
> > > with
> > >
> > > KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(KBUILD_CFLAGS-y) $(patsubst "%",%,$(CONFIG_CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH))
> >
> > Ugh. I think the external build environment is a bit broken, but
> > whatever. The above is ugly but I guess it works.
> >
> > Another alternative would be to make the Kconfig strings simply not
> > have '"' as part of them.
> >
> > When you do
> >
> > a = "hello"
> > print $a
> >
> > in any normal language, you generally wouldn't expect it to print the
> > quotes, it should just print the bare word.
> >
> > But that's what the Kconfig string language basically does in this
> > case. And I guess several users expect and take advantage of that ;(
> >
> > Masahiro? Comments?
>
> Yes, you get to the point.
>
> In fact, this is in my TODO list for a while
> (and this is the reason I was doing prerequisite Kconfig refactoring
> in the previous development cycle).
> I will try to find some spare time to complete this work.
>

> Kconfig generates two similar files,
>
> - .config
> - include/config/auto.conf
>
> Changing the format of the .config is presumably problematic
> since it is the saved user configuration as well.
>
> It is possible (and more reasonable) to change include/config/auto.conf
> so strings are not quoted.
>
> In Makefiles, quotations are just normal characters; they have no
> special functionality.
>
> So, in Makefile context, it is more handy to do
>
> CONFIG_X=foo bar
>
> instead of
>
> CONFIG_X="foo bar"
>

> One problem is include/config/auto.conf is included not only by Makefiles
> but also by shell scripts.
>

> In shell context, the right hand side must be quoted
> in case the value contains spaces.
>
> CONFIG_X="foo bar"
>

> My plan is to fix
> scripts/link-vmlinux.sh
> scripts/gen_autoksyms.sh
> etc. to not directly include the auto.conf.
> Later, change Kconfig to generate the auto.conf without "".
>

> In the meantime,
>
> KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(KBUILD_CFLAGS-y) $(patsubst
> "%",%,$(CONFIG_CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH))
>
> or if you prefer slightly shorter form,
>
> KBUILD_CFLAGS += $(KBUILD_CFLAGS-y) $(CONFIG_CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH:"%"=%)
>
> will be a workaround.

It'll be nice to get this fixed. There are a few places where there is
a test for a compiler flag in Kconfig, and then the option is repeated
in the Makefile, due to the above quoting issues. For example:

arch/arm64/Kconfig:
config CC_HAS_BRANCH_PROT_PAC_RET
# GCC 9 or later, clang 8 or later
def_bool $(cc-option,-mbranch-protection=pac-ret+leaf)

arch/arm64/Makefile:
branch-prot-flags-$(CONFIG_CC_HAS_BRANCH_PROT_PAC_RET) := -mbranch-protection=pac-ret+leaf

I like the $(CONFIG_CC_IMPLICIT_FALLTHROUGH:"%"=%) solution: it's short.

--
Kees Cook

  Last update: 2021-12-06 20:54    [W:0.205 / U:0.120 seconds]