SubjectRe: cpufreq: intel_pstate: map utilization into the pstate range
On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 7:21 PM Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@inria.fr> wrote:

> > > 2100000, which should be pstate 21

> > > My impression is that the package voltage level for P-states 10 to 20 is
> > > high enough that increasing the frequency has little impact. But the code
> > > runs twice as fast, which reduces the execution time a lot, saving energy.
> > >
> > > My first experiment had only one running thread. I also tried running 32
> > > spinning threads for 10 seconds, ie using up one package and leaving the
> > > other idle. In this case, instead of staying around 600J for pstates
> > > 10-20, the pstate rises from 743 to 946. But there is still a gap between
> > > 20 and 21, with 21 being 1392J.

> > > The C1 and C6 cases (CPU%c1 and CPU%c6) are about the same between 20 and
> > > 21, whether with 1 thread or with 32 thread.
> >
> > I meant to compare P-state 10 and P-state 20.
> >
> > 20 and 21 are really close as far as the performance is concerned, so
> > I wouldn't expect to see any significant C-state residency difference
> > between them.
>
> There's also no difference between 10 and 20. This seems normal, because
> the same cores are either fully used or fully idle in both cases. The
> idle ones are almost always in C6.

The turbostat output sent by you previously shows that the CPUs doing
the work are only about 15-or-less percent busy, though, and you get
quite a bit of C-state residency on them. I'm assuming that this is
for 1 running thread.

Can you please run the 32 spinning threads workload (ie. on one
package) and with P-state locked to 10 and then to 20 under turbostat
and send me the turbostat output for both runs?

  Last update: 2021-12-30 19:37    [W:0.073 / U:0.720 seconds]