Subject[RFC 00/32] Kconfig: Introduce HAS_IOPORT and LEGACY_PCI options
Date
Hello Kernel Hackers,

Some platforms such as s390 do not support legacy PCI devices nor PCI I/O
spaces. On such platforms I/O space accessors like inb()/outb() are merely
stubs that can never actually work. The way these stubs are implemented in
asm-generic/io.h leads to compiler warnings because any use will
essentially lead to a NULL pointer access. In a previous patch we tried
handling this case by generating a run-time warning on access. This
approach however was rejected by Linus in tha mail below with the argument
that this really should be a compile-time check and, though a much more
invasive change, we believe that is indeed the right approach.

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wg80je=K7madF4e7WrRNp37e3qh6y10Svhdc7O8SZ_-8g@mail.gmail.com/

This patch series aims to do exactly that by introducing a HAS_IOPORT
config option akin to the existing HAS_IOMEM. When this is unset
inb()/outb() and friends may not be defined. Now since I/O port access is
not only used in legacy PCI devices or with legacy I/O spaces for backwards
compatible PCI Express devices, but also for example in ACPI we also
introduce another config option LEGACY_PCI to specifically disable the
compilation of drivers for legacy PCI devices and legacy I/O space uses
while keeping I/O port accessors for non-legacy uses. This allows modern
systems which do not need legacy PCI support to skip building drivers for
legacy devices while keeping e.g. ACPI support.

This series builts heavily on an original patch for demonstating the
concept by Arnd Bergmann and was created in collaboration with him as
discussed in the follow up to his original patch here:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAK8P3a0MNbx-iuzW_-=0ab6-TTZzwV-PT_6gAC1Gp5PgYyHcrA@mail.gmail.com/

It rebases his patch on v5.16-rc7, adds the missing arch selects for
HAS_IOPORT, fixes a few trivial findings from the original patch discussion
and splits the patch into more manageable patches. One other thing that
came up during the discussion is the idea of adding a separate
HARDCODED_IOPORTS config option for drivers which use hardcoded I/O port
numbers, this is not currently implemented but could still be added if we
find enough drivers that should not be compiled on platforms where
HAS_IOPORT is set but these hardcoded I/O ports will not work. According to
the above discussion John Garry is looking into this but I wanted to get
the discussion going on this proposal.

The series is split up into multiple patches as follows:

- Patch 01: Adds the LEGACY_PCI config and selects it for all remaining
drivers for legacy PCI devices.

- Patch 02: Adds the HAS_IOPORT config option and selects it for those
architectures supporting the I/O space access. It is currently not
selected for s390, nds32, um, h8300, nios2, openrisc, hexagon, csky, and
xtensa

- Patches 03-26: Add HAS_IOPORT dependencies on a per subsystem basis.
These dependencies are either Kconfig "depends on" or ifdefs where I/O
port access is an alternative path or required e.g. for a sysfs file.

- Patches 27-31: Handle HAS_IOPORT dependencies for some special cases such
as sysfs files, PCI quirks and in USB code.

- Patch 32: Removes the inb()/outb() etc. definitions in asm-generic/io.h
when HAS_IOPORT is not selected e.g. on s390.

I performed the following testing:

- On s390 this series on top of v5.16-rc7 builds with allyesconfig i.e. the
HAS_IOPORT=n case. It also builds with defconfig and the resulting kernel
appears fully functional including tests with PCI devices.

- On x86_64 with a config based on Arch Linux' standard config and
LEGACY_PCI=n it builds and I've been running kernels with this
configuration for over a week without issue on my Ryzen 3990X based
workstation (initially based on v5.16-rc6). I also tested LEGACY_PCI=y
though I do not have any legacy PCI devices, I did confirm though that
the additional modules are built as expected.

- For ARM64 I cross-compiled based on the current Arch Linux ARM generic
kernel config and LEGACY_PCI=n and have been running a v5.16-rc6 based
version of this patch on my Raspberry Pi 4 (DT not UEFI) and checked that
the PCI based USB still works.

For easy consumption a branch on top of v5.16-rc7 is also available from my
Github here https://github.com/niklas88/linux/tree/has_ioport_rfc_v1

Thanks,
Niklas Schnelle

Niklas Schnelle (32):
Kconfig: introduce and depend on LEGACY_PCI
Kconfig: introduce HAS_IOPORT option and select it as necessary
ACPI: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
parport: PC style parport depends on HAS_IOPORT
char: impi, tpm: depend on HAS_IOPORT
speakup: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
Input: gameport: add ISA and HAS_IOPORT dependencies
comedi: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
sound: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
i2c: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
Input: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
iio: adc: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
hwmon: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
leds: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
media: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
misc: handle HAS_IOPORT dependencies
net: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
pcmcia: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
platform: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
pnp: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
power: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
video: handle HAS_IOPORT dependencies
rtc: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
scsi: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
watchdog: Kconfig: add HAS_IOPORT dependencies
drm: handle HAS_IOPORT dependencies
PCI/sysfs: make I/O resource depend on HAS_IOPORT
PCI: make quirk using inw() depend on HAS_IOPORT
firmware: dmi-sysfs: handle HAS_IOPORT dependencies
/dev/port: don't compile file operations without CONFIG_DEVPORT
usb: handle HAS_IOPORT dependencies
asm-generic/io.h: drop inb() etc for HAS_IOPORT=n

arch/alpha/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/arc/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/arm/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/arm64/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/ia64/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/m68k/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/microblaze/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/mips/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/parisc/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/powerpc/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/riscv/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/sh/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/sparc/Kconfig | 1 +
arch/x86/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/accessibility/speakup/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/acpi/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/ata/Kconfig | 34 ++---
drivers/ata/ata_generic.c | 3 +-
drivers/ata/libata-sff.c | 2 +
drivers/bus/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/char/Kconfig | 3 +-
drivers/char/ipmi/Makefile | 11 +-
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_intf.c | 3 +-
drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_pci.c | 3 +
drivers/char/mem.c | 6 +-
drivers/char/tpm/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/char/tpm/tpm_infineon.c | 14 +-
drivers/char/tpm/tpm_tis_core.c | 19 ++-
drivers/comedi/Kconfig | 53 ++++++++
drivers/firmware/dmi-sysfs.c | 4 +
drivers/gpio/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/gpu/drm/qxl/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/gpu/drm/tiny/cirrus.c | 2 +
drivers/hwmon/Kconfig | 21 ++-
drivers/i2c/busses/Kconfig | 29 +++--
drivers/iio/adc/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/input/gameport/Kconfig | 6 +-
drivers/input/serio/Kconfig | 2 +
drivers/input/touchscreen/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/isdn/hardware/mISDN/Kconfig | 14 +-
drivers/leds/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/media/cec/platform/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/media/pci/dm1105/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/media/radio/Kconfig | 15 ++-
drivers/media/rc/Kconfig | 6 +
drivers/message/fusion/Kconfig | 8 +-
drivers/misc/altera-stapl/Makefile | 3 +-
drivers/misc/altera-stapl/altera.c | 6 +-
drivers/net/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/net/arcnet/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/net/can/cc770/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/net/can/sja1000/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/net/ethernet/8390/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/net/ethernet/amd/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/net/ethernet/intel/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/net/ethernet/sis/Kconfig | 6 +-
drivers/net/ethernet/ti/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/net/ethernet/via/Kconfig | 5 +-
drivers/net/fddi/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/net/hamradio/Kconfig | 6 +-
drivers/net/wan/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/net/wireless/atmel/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/net/wireless/intersil/hostap/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/parport/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/pci/Kconfig | 11 ++
drivers/pci/pci-sysfs.c | 16 +++
drivers/pci/quirks.c | 2 +
drivers/pcmcia/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/platform/chrome/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/platform/chrome/wilco_ec/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/pnp/isapnp/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/power/reset/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/rtc/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/scsi/Kconfig | 21 +--
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/Kconfig.aic79xx | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/Kconfig.aic7xxx | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/aic94xx/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/megaraid/Kconfig.megaraid | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/mvsas/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/spi/Kconfig | 1 +
drivers/staging/sm750fb/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/staging/vt6655/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/tty/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/tty/serial/Kconfig | 2 +-
drivers/usb/core/hcd-pci.c | 3 +-
drivers/usb/host/Kconfig | 4 +-
drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.c | 127 ++++++++++---------
drivers/usb/host/pci-quirks.h | 33 +++--
drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.c | 2 +-
drivers/usb/host/uhci-hcd.h | 77 +++++++----
drivers/video/fbdev/Kconfig | 23 ++--
drivers/watchdog/Kconfig | 6 +-
include/asm-generic/io.h | 5 +
include/linux/gameport.h | 9 +-
include/linux/parport.h | 2 +-
include/video/vga.h | 8 ++
lib/Kconfig | 4 +
lib/Kconfig.kgdb | 1 +
sound/drivers/Kconfig | 3 +
sound/pci/Kconfig | 43 +++++--

2.32.0

  Last update: 2021-12-27 17:47    [W:0.355 / U:0.200 seconds]