SubjectRe: The vcpu won't be wakened for a long time
On Wed, Dec 22, 2021, Chao Gao wrote:

> >> The below commit can fix the bug, we have just completed the tests.
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >Aha! Somehow I missed this call chain when analyzing the change.
> >
> > irqfd_wakeup()
> > |
> > |->kvm_arch_set_irq_inatomic()
> > |
> > |-> kvm_irq_delivery_to_apic_fast()
> > |
> > |-> kvm_apic_set_irq()
> >

> >Paolo, can the changelog be amended to the below, and maybe even pull the commit
> >into 5.16?
> >

> >KVM: VMX: Wake vCPU when delivering posted IRQ even if vCPU == this vCPU
> >
> >Drop a check that guards triggering a posted interrupt on the currently
> >running vCPU,
>
> Can we move (add) this check to kvm_vcpu_trigger_posted_interrupt()?
>
> if (vcpu->mode == IN_GUEST_MODE) {
> [...]
> - apic->send_IPI_mask(get_cpu_mask(vcpu->cpu), pi_vec);
> + if (vcpu != kvm_get_running_vcpu())
> + apic->send_IPI_mask(get_cpu_mask(vcpu->cpu), pi_vec);
> return true;
>
> It can achieve the purpose of the original patch without (re-)introducing
> this bug.

Hmm, yes, I think that would be safe and would optimize delivery of TSC deadline
timer interrupts when they're emulated via the VMX preemption timer. The original
patch confused me because the optimization went in before the code it was optimizing.

  Last update: 2021-12-22 16:44    [W:0.062 / U:0.212 seconds]