SubjectRe: Addition of config USB_HSIC_USB3613 soon?
On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 10:58 AM Greg Kroah-Hartman
<gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 10:54:41AM +0100, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> > Dear Vaibhav, dear Johan, dear Alex, dear Greg,
> >
> > I have seen that the greybus arche driver has been under heavy
> > development in 2016 and 2017 with some further clean-up in 2019.
> >
> > However, so far, the config GREYBUS_ARCHE for this driver still
> > depends on the out-of-tree config USB_HSIC_USB3613, with a proper
> > exception made for compile testing (with COMPILE_TEST).
> >
> > Will this USB_HSIC_USB3613 config and driver still be added in the
> > mainline kernel in the near future, so that the config dependencies
> > are consistent in mainline?
>
> Do you have this hardware? If so, we can add the driver, but given that
> I did not think the chip ever actually shipped, it didn't make much
> sense.
>
> > Or, are the further out-of-tree additions still maintained for the
> > current kernel and will stay out of tree? Is this arche driver not
> > needed anymore and can be dropped?
>
> Do you want to drop it as it is causing problems for you? It's a good
> example driver for those wanting to create a greybus host controller
> driver so it's nice to have in the tree, unless you have a different one
> that should be merged instead?

Greg, I just stumbled over this code due to some janitorial workwith
./scripts/checkkconfigsymbols.py in the kernel repository and wondered
if it is worth keeping this in the kernel tree. I do not have the
hardware, nor do I need it and the driver code to it.

Of course, the repository is full of other dead code*... so, if you
know the current state of this driver, it just remains in staging, and
is actually a good example for educational purposes, we are all fine
:)

*... This is not a complaint, but my task description for me as kernel
janitor to submit clean-up patches for the various places of the dead
code.

Thanks for your quick response,

Lukas

  Last update: 2021-12-22 11:11    [W:0.065 / U:0.324 seconds]