    SubjectLinux kernel page table creation for X86_64 system
    Hi,
    I am recently learning how the Linux kernel page table is created for
    the X86_64 system. Here are some questions I have:
    1. When the actual initial kernel page table is created which is
    init_top_pgt, there are some entries of it that are initialized. As
    far as I know, kernel mapping area (map to kernel image), direct
    mapping (0-1GB), vmemmap, ioremap, and vmalloc area in the initial
    kernel page table are initialized and mapped to physical memory. Is
    this correct? Is there any other area I am missing?
    2. In order to handle the 128TB kernel physical memory, more page
    tables have to be created to map to the physical memory. However, I
    can't find in the kernel where are the extra page tables being
    created. Does the kernel create the extra page tables using, for
    example, pgd_alloc interface? or other interfaces.
    Thanks for answering my questions.

    Best,
    Botong

      Last update: 2021-12-21 21:06    [W:3.089 / U:0.764 seconds]