SubjectRe: [GIT PULL 1/2] asm-generic: rework PCI I/O space access
On Tue, 2021-12-21 at 16:48 +0000, John Garry wrote:

> > > You did suggest HARDCODED_IOPORT earlier in this thread, and the
> > > definition/premise there seemed sensible to me.
> > >
> > > Anyway it seems practical to make all these changes in a single series,
> > > so need a way forward as Niklas has no such changes for this additional
> > > kconfig option.
> > >
> > > As a start, may I suggest we at least have Niklas' patch committed to a
> > > dev branch based on -next or latest mainline release for further analysis?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > John
> > >

> > My plan would be to split the patch up into more manageable pieces as
> > suggested by Arnd plus of course fixes like the missing ARM select. As
> > Arnd suggested I'll split the HAS_IOPORT additions into the initial
> > introduction plus arch selects and then the HAS_IOPORT dependencies per
> > subsytem. I think these per subsystem dependency patches then would be
> > a great place to find drivers which should have a different dependency
> > be it on LPC or a newly introduced HARDCODED_IOPORT. The thing is we
> > can find and check HAS_IOPORT dependencies easily but it's hard to find
> > HARDCODED_IOPORT so I think the lattter should be a refinement of the
> > former. It can of course still go in as a single series. I'll
> > definitely make the next iteration available as a git branch.
>
> I'll do an audit for what would require HARDCODED_IOPORT to understand
> the scope while you can continue the work on your current path.
>
> Thanks,
> john

Sounds good, I'm open to adding such a config option given a clear
enough picture of what drivers it would affect. Meanwhile I've made
some progress splitting things up. I still need to do a bit more
testing and refining of comments before sending an RFC but if you're
curious you can check out the 'has_ioport' branch on my GitHub here:

https://github.com/niklas88/linux.git (still figuring out if/how I can
get a proper git.kernel.org branch/repository).

Thanks,
Niklas

  Last update: 2021-12-21 17:58    [W:0.426 / U:0.080 seconds]