SubjectRe: Possible nohz-full/RCU issue in arm64 KVM
From
On 12/17/21 18:12, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 06:02:23PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>>> Here "user space" is a user process as opposed to a guest OS?
>>
>> Yes, that code runs from ioctl(KVM_RUN) and the ioctl will return to the
>> calling process.
>
> Intriguing. A user process within the guest OS or a user process outside
> of any guest OS, that is, within the host?

A user process on the host. The guest vCPU is nothing special: it's
just a user thread that occasionally lets the guest run by invoking the
KVM_RUN ioctl. Hopefully, KVM_RUN will be where that user thread will
spend most of the time so the guest runs at full steam. KVM_RUN is the
place where you have the code that Nicolas and Mark were discussing.

From the point of view of the kernel however the thread is always in
kernel mode when it runs the guest, because any interrupt will be
recognized while still in the ioctl.

(I'll add that from the point of view of the scheduler, there's no
difference between a CPU-bound guest and a "normal" CPU-bound process on
the host, e.g. wasting time with "for(;;)" or calculating digits of PI
is the same no matter if you're doing it in the guest or in the host.
Likewise for I/O-bound guests; e.g. doing "hlt" or "wfi" constantly in
the guest looks exactly the same to the scheduler as a process that
spends its time in the poll() system call).

Paolo

  Last update: 2021-12-17 18:23    [W:0.128 / U:0.844 seconds]