SubjectRe: [patch 5/6] x86/fpu: Provide fpu_update_guest_xcr0/xfd()
From
On 12/16/21 11:21, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

Right, this is a generic /dev/kvm ioctl therefore it has to check the
process state.

> Thomas, are you OK with this change given Paolo's ask? v1 included
> this change but it was not necessary at the moment:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/87lf0ot50q.ffs@tglx/
>
> and Paolo, do we want to document that prctl() must be done before
> calling KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID? If yes, where is the proper location?

You can document it under the KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID ioctl.

(The reason for this ordering is backwards compatibility: otherwise a
process could pass KVM_GET_SUPPORTED_CPUID to KVM_SET_CPUID2 directly,
and the resulting VM would not be able to use AMX because it hasn't been
requested. Likewise, userspace needs to know that if you use prctl then
you also need to allocate >4K for the xstate and use KVM_GET_XSAVE2 to
retrieve it).

Paolo

  Last update: 2021-12-16 11:27    [W:0.144 / U:0.040 seconds]