SubjectRE: [patch 21/32] NTB/msi: Convert to msi_on_each_desc()
Date

Initially it was introduced for supporting more than 255 vCPUs. Due to
full emulation this capability can certainly support other vIR usages
as observed on bare metal.

vIR doesn't rely on the physical IR presence.

First if the guest doesn't have vfio device then the physical capability
doesn't matter.

Even with vfio device, IR by definition is just about remapping instead
of injection (talk about this part later). The interrupts are always routed
to the host handler first (vfio_msihandler() in this case), which then
triggers irqfd to call virtual interrupt injection handler (irqfd_wakeup())
in kvm.

This suggests a clear role split between vfio and kvm:

- vfio is responsible for irq allocation/startup as it is the device driver;
- kvm takes care of virtual interrupt injection, being a VMM;

The two are connected via irqfd.

Following this split vIR information is completely hidden in userspace.
Qemu calculates the routing information between vGSI and vCPU
(with or without vIR, and for whatever trapped interrupt storages)
and then registers it to kvm.

When kvm receives a notification via irqfd, it follows irqfd->vGSI->vCPU
and injects a virtual interrupt into the target vCPU.

Then comes an interesting scenario about IOMMU posted interrupt (PI).
This capability allows the IR engine directly converting a physical
interrupt into virtual and then inject it into the guest. Kinda offloading
the virtual routing information into the hardware.

This is currently achieved via IRQ bypass manager, which helps connect
vfio (IRQ producer) to kvm (IRQ consumer) around a specific Linux irq
number. Once the connection is established, kvm calls
irq_set_vcpu_affinity() to update IRTE with virtual routing information
for that irq number.

With that design Qemu doesn't know whether IR or PI is enabled
physically. It always talks to vfio for having IRQ resource allocated and
to kvm for registering virtual routing information.

Then adding the new hypercall machinery into this picture:

1) The hypercall needs to carry all necessary virtual routing
information due to no-trap;

2) Before querying IRTE data/pair, Qemu needs to complete necessary
operations as of today to have IRTE ready:

a) Register irqfd and related GSI routing info to kvm
b) Allocates/startup IRQs via vfio;

When PI is enabled, IRTE is ready only after both are completed.

3) Qemu gets IRTE data/pair from kernel and return to the guest.

Thanks
Kevin

  Last update: 2021-12-13 08:52    [W:0.191 / U:2.708 seconds]