SubjectRe: [RFC] perf record: Disable debuginfod by default
On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 10:41:49AM -0800, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 4:23 AM Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Dec 09, 2021 at 03:39:20PM -0800, Namhyung Kim wrote:
> > > Hi Jiri,

> > > I thought the debuginfod was for perf report, not record.
> > > Maybe I'm missing something but how about moving it to
> > > report? We can talk to debuginfod after checking the local
> > > build-id cache and binary on the system.
> >
> > at the end of the perf record we populate buildid cache
> > with profiled binaries for the current perf.data
> >
> > **IF** there's DEBUGINFOD_URLS defined, that code will
> > also ask debuginfod for binaries it could not find on
> > the system
>
> Yeah, I know what you're doing. But I guess debuginfod
> contains binaries for the distro and they'd be available for
> a while. Then I think we don't need to do it at perf record.

well there's also profiling of non system binaries, which you want
to cache, because you might want to check that profile later

so I think we should still do that in perf record, just to have
some control over debuginfod, which is executed as part of
build_id_cache__find_debug function

jirka

  Last update: 2021-12-11 20:59    [W:1.855 / U:0.400 seconds]