SubjectRe: [RFC 00/12] io_uring zerocopy send
From
On 12/1/21 18:10, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
>> # performance:
>>
>> The worst case for io_uring is (4), still 1.88 times faster than
>> msg_zerocopy (2), and there are a couple of "easy" optimisations left
>> out from the patchset. For 4096 bytes payload zc is only slightly
>> outperforms non-zc version, the larger payload the wider gap.
>> I'll get more numbers next time.
>
>> Comparing (3) and (4), and (5) vs (6), @flush doesn't affect it too
>> much. Notification posting is not a big problem for now, but need
>> to compare the performance for when io_uring_tx_zerocopy_callback()
>> is called from IRQ context, and possible rework it to use task_work.
>>
>> It supports both, regular buffers and fixed ones, but there is a bunch of
>> optimisations exclusively for io_uring's fixed buffers. For comparison,
>> normal vs fixed buffers (@nr_reqs=8, @flush=0): 75677 vs 116079 MB/s
>>
>> 1) we pass a bvec, so no page table walks.
>> 2) zerocopy_sg_from_iter() is just slow, adding a bvec optimised version
>> still doing page get/put (see 4/12) slashed 4-5%.
>> 3) avoiding get_page/put_page in 5/12
>> 4) completion events are posted into io_uring's CQ, so no
>> extra recvmsg for getting events
>> 5) no poll(2) in the code because of io_uring
>> 6) lot of time is spent in sock_omalloc()/free allocating ubuf_info.
>> io_uring caches the structures reducing it to nearly zero-overhead.
>
> Nice set of complementary optimizations.
>
> We have looked at adding some of those as independent additions to
> msg_zerocopy before, such as long-term pinned regions. One issue with
> that is that the pages must remain until the request completes,
> regardless of whether the calling process is alive. So it cannot rely
> on a pinned range held by a process only.
>
> If feasible, it would be preferable if the optimizations can be added
> to msg_zerocopy directly, rather than adding a dependency on io_uring
> to make use of them. But not sure how feasible that is. For some, like
> 4 and 5, the answer is clearly it isn't. 6, it probably is?

And for 3), io_uring has a complex infra for keeping pages alive,
the additional overhead is one almost percpu_ref_put() per
request/notification, or even better in common cases. Not sure it's
feasible/possible with current msg_zerocopy. Also, io_uring's
ubufs are kept as a part of a larger structure, which may complicate
things.

>> # discussion / questions
>>
>> I haven't got a grasp on many aspects of the net stack yet, so would
>> appreciate feedback in general and there are a couple of questions
>> thoughts.
>>
>> 1) What are initialisation rules for adding a new field into
>> struct mshdr? E.g. many users (mainly LLD) hand code initialisation not
>> filling all the fields.
>>
>> 2) I don't like too much ubuf_info propagation from udp_sendmsg() into
>> __ip_append_data() (see 3/12). Ideas how to do it better?
>
> Agreed that both of these are less than ideal.
>
> I can't comment too much on the io_uring aspect of the patch series.
> But msg_zerocopy is probably used in a small fraction of traffic (even
> if a high fraction for users who care about its benefits). We have to
> try to minimize the cost incurred on the general hot path.

One thing, I can hide the initial ubuf check in the beginning of
__ip_append_data() under a common

if (sock_flag(sk, SOCK_ZEROCOPY)) {}

But as SOCK_ZEROCOPY is more of a design problem workaround,
tbh not sure I like from the API perspective. Thoughts? I hope
I can also shuffle some of the stuff in 5/12 out of the
hot path, need to dig a bit deeper.

> I was going to suggest using the standard msg_zerocopy ubuf_info
> alloc/free mechanism. But you explicitly mention seeing omalloc/ofree
> in the cycle profile.
>
> It might still be possible to somehow signal to msg_zerocopy_alloc
> that this is being called from within an io_uring request, and
> therefore should use a pre-existing uarg with different
> uarg->callback. If nothing else, some info can be passed as a cmsg.
> But perhaps there is a more direct pointer path to follow from struct
> sk, say? Here my limited knowledge of io_uring forces me to hand wave.

One thing I consider important though is to be able to specify a
ubuf per request, but not somehow registering it in a socket. It's
more flexible from the userspace API perspective. It would also need
constant register/unregister, and there are concerns with
referencing/cancellations, that's where it came from in the first
place.

IOW, I'd really prefer to pass it down on a per request basis.

> Probably also want to see how all this would integrate with TCP. In
> some ways, that might be easier, as it does not have the indirection
> through ip_make_skb, etc.

Worked well in general, but patches I used should be a broken for
some input after adding 5/12, so need some work. will send next time.

--
Pavel Begunkov

  Last update: 2021-12-01 20:59    [W:0.555 / U:0.316 seconds]