SubjectRe: [patch 21/32] NTB/msi: Convert to msi_on_each_desc()
From

On 12/1/2021 11:41 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> Dave,
>
> please trim your replies.
>
> On Wed, Dec 01 2021 at 09:28, Dave Jiang wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2021 3:16 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>>> Jason,
>>>
>>> CC+ IOMMU folks

>>> Though I fear there is also a use case for MSI-X and IMS tied to the
>>> same device. That network card you are talking about might end up using
>>> MSI-X for a control block and then IMS for the actual network queues
>>> when it is used as physical function device as a whole, but that's
>>> conceptually a different case.
>> Hi Thomas. This is actually the IDXD usage for a mediated device passed
>> to a guest kernel when we plumb the pass through of IMS to the guest
>> rather than doing previous implementation of having a MSIX vector on
>> guest backed by IMS.
> Which makes a lot of sense.
>
>> The control block for the mediated device is emulated and therefore an
>> emulated MSIX vector will be surfaced as vector 0. However the queues
>> will backed by IMS vectors. So we end up needing MSIX and IMS coexist
>> running on the guest kernel for the same device.
> Why? What's wrong with using straight MSI-X for all of them?

The hardware implementation does not have enough MSIX vectors for
guests. There are only 9 MSIX vectors total (8 for queues) and 2048 IMS
vectors. So if we are to do MSI-X for all of them, then we need to do
the IMS backed MSIX scheme rather than passthrough IMS to guests.

> Thanks,
>
> tglx

  Last update: 2021-12-01 19:49    [W:0.106 / U:0.044 seconds]