    SubjectRe: [patch 21/32] NTB/msi: Convert to msi_on_each_desc()
    On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 07:37:32PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > On Wed, Dec 01 2021 at 11:11, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
    > > On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 03:52:02PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > >> So we really can go and create a MSI irqdomain and stick the pointer
    > >> into stdev->dev.irqdomain. The parent domain of this irqdomain is
    > >>
    > >> stdev->pdev.dev.irqdomain->parent
    > >
    > > It can work (pending some solution to the iommu stuff), but IMHO it is
    > > strange/hacky to put HW objects like irqdomain on what is a character
    > > struct device with a set major/minor in dev->devt and associated
    > > struct cdev.
    > >
    > > Conceptually it makes no sense to me, cdevs are software constructs,
    > > they should never go into HW areas..
    >
    > I picked that because it _is_ already used to establish the connection
    > to the switchtec_class NTB driver which is beyond the usual cdev muck.

    IMHO that is also a misuse. These days two drivers should be hooked
    together using an aux device, not a cdev and the obscure
    class_interface stuff. Aux device supports auto probing and module
    auto loading for instance.

    An interrupt on an aux device is at least somewhat conceptually
    parallel to an interrupt on a mdev as both are usually representing
    some slice of a device.

    Thanks,
    Jason

      Last update: 2021-12-01 19:47    [W:3.507 / U:0.284 seconds]