SubjectRe: [RFC 00/12] io_uring zerocopy send

> >> Nice set of complementary optimizations.
> >>
> >> We have looked at adding some of those as independent additions to
> >> msg_zerocopy before, such as long-term pinned regions. One issue with
> >> that is that the pages must remain until the request completes,
> >> regardless of whether the calling process is alive. So it cannot rely
> >> on a pinned range held by a process only.
> >>
> >> If feasible, it would be preferable if the optimizations can be added
> >> to msg_zerocopy directly, rather than adding a dependency on io_uring
> >> to make use of them. But not sure how feasible that is. For some, like
> >> 4 and 5, the answer is clearly it isn't. 6, it probably is?
>
> Forgot about 6), io_uring uses the fact that submissions are
> done under an per ring mutex, and completions are under a per
> ring spinlock, so there are two lists for them and no extra
> locking. Lists are spliced in a batched manner, so it's
> 1 spinlock per N (e.g. 32) cached ubuf_info's allocations.
>
> Any similar guarantees for sockets?

For datagrams it might matter, not sure if it would show up in a
profile. The current notification mechanism is quite a bit more
heavyweight than any form of fixed ubuf pool.

For TCP this matters less, as multiple sends are not needed and
completions are coalesced, because in order.

  Last update: 2021-12-02 01:38    [W:0.170 / U:0.892 seconds]