SubjectRe: Question: SMMUv3 PMU event aliasing
From
On 2021-11-08 12:41, John Garry wrote:
> On 08/11/2021 12:19, Leo Yan wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> [ + mailing list ]
>
> Hi Leo,
>

>> I'd like to confirm the latest upstream status for SMMUv3 PMU event
>> aliasing.
>>
>> I see the patch set v6 of "perf pmu-events: Support event aliasing for
>> system PMUs" [1] has been landed on the mainline kernel, and as an
>> example, imx8mm DDR PMU has been supported as system PMU [2].
>>
>> On the other hand, I can see patch set 5 contains the SMMUv3 PMU event
>> aliasing with patch "perf vendor events arm64: Add Architected events
>> smmuv3-pmcg.json" [3], but this patch was left out in patch set 6 and
>> it's never landed on the mainline kernel.
>>
>> Could you share current status (or plan) for upstreaming SMMUv3 PMU
>> event alias?  Or if there have any block issue to prevent merging the
>> changes in the mainline kernel?
>
> This feature should be supported in the SMMUv3 PMU kernel driver and
> perf tool.
>
> However it relies on the SMMU PMU identifier sysfs file to work. This
> relies on SMMU_PMCG_IIDR being set, which is introduced latest spec,
> which not much HW will support yet - see commit 2c255223362e. In theory
> we don't need that for the fixed, non-IMPDEF events, but I did not
> complicate perf tool with that mixed support.
>
> That's the reason for which I paused smmuv3-pmcg.json upstream in [3]. I
> will revive that for new gen HW when concrete IMPDEF events known and
> shared.

FWIW, imp-def-events are readily available for the existing Arm
implementations[1][2], and annoyingly we could trivially synthesise an
IIDR value from their imp-def PIDR registers if only we knew that that
was valid to do in the first place. I feel tempted now to resurrect
Jean-Philippe's DT binding and have a quick hack at that, then maybe a
much longer think about how to attempt it for IORT...

Cheers,
Robin.

[1]
https://developer.arm.com/documentation/100310/0202/Functional-description/Operation/Performance-Monitoring-Unit