SubjectRe: [net-next] net: dsa: qca8k: only change the MIB_EN bit in MODULE_EN register
On Mon, Nov 08, 2021 at 10:56:51PM +0100, Robert Marko wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 10:46 PM Vladimir Oltean <olteanv@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Sorry, QM_ERR_RST_EN is BIT(8) and it as well as LOOKUP_ERR_RST_EN should
> > > be exactly the same on QCA833x switches as well as IPQ4019 uses a
> > > variant of QCA8337N.

> > > LOOKUP_ERR_RST_EN:
> > > 1b1:Enableautomatic software reset by hardware due to
> > > lookup error.
> > >
> > > QM_ERR_RST_EN:
> > > 1b1:enableautomatic software reset by hardware due to qm
> > > error.
> > >
> > > So clearing these 2 disables the built-in error recovery essentially.
> > >
> > > To me clearing the bits even if they are not breaking something now
> > > should at least have a comment in the code that indicates that it's intentional
> > > for some reason.
> > > I wish John would explain the logic behind this.
> >
> > That sounds... aggressive. Have you or Gabor exercised this error path?
> > What is supposed to happen? Is software prepared for the hardware to
> > automatically reset?
>
> I am not trying to be aggressive, but to me, this is either a bug or they are
> intentionally cleaned but it's not documented.
> Have tried triggering the QM error, but couldn't hit it even when
> doing crazy stuff.
> It should be nearly impossible to hit it, but it's there to prevent
> the switch from just locking up
> under extreme conditions (At least that is how I understand it).
>
> I don't think the driver currently even monitors the QM registers at all.
> I can understand clearing these bits intentionally, but it's gotta be
> documented otherwise
> somebody else is gonna think is a bug/mistake/whatever in the code.

Oh no no, I'm not saying that you're aggressive, but the hardware
behavior of automatically performing a software reset.

The driver keeps state. If the switch just resets by itself, what do you
think will continue to work fine afterwards? The code path needs testing.
I am not convinced that a desynchronized software state is any better
than a lockup.

  Last update: 2021-11-08 23:00    [W:0.044 / U:0.128 seconds]