SubjectRe: Linux regressions report for mainline [2021-11-24]
From

On 24.11.21 19:13, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, nice to see the new regression tracking bot start to show life.

Yeah. :-D

Sadly one of my biggest problems with regression tracking remains:
getting aware of regression reports. I can fully understand that most
people don't care about regzbot for now, but it would really help if
everyone would CC regressions@lists.linux.dev on mails regarding
regressions (e.g. reports or any replies to them).

> Greg had one suggestion,

Still not sure how to approach his use case, but for now I started
adding the usual subsystem commit summary prefixes (e.g. "net:", "usb:",
"drm/amd") to the title of newly added regression, which might help
somewhat and won't hurt.

> I have another - namely about grouping of these things.
>
> I like how you group them by "identified" and "unknown", because
> that's certainly very meaningful.
>
> But at the same time it does mean that if I look for "what are current
> issues with the development kernel", it ends up being very spread out:

Hah, fun fact: the order you purposed was the one I initially had in
mind. But I later changed my mind, as I thought 'hey, if the culprit of
the regression is known, it should be able to fix this quickly (e.g. by
a revert, if there are no conflicts) even for regressions that made it
into proper releases".

But whatever: I'm totally fine with this and already changed the web
interface yesterday after your mail arrived, only took a minute:

https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/regzbot/mainline/

Next report will use this order as well.

> I suspect that Greg may have a slightly similar issue - as a driver
> maintainer, he cares about current cycle things (but mainly only when
> they affect his subsystems), but with his stable maintainer hat on he
> then cares more about the older cycles.
>
> Greg suggested splitting out the issues one by one - to try to have
> the right people on the Cc for any _particular_ issue, and while I
> think that's not the solution in this case (I very much want to see
> the "summary" email), it would be good to perhaps at least organize
> that summary email slightly differently.
>
> I suspect this is something we'd need to iterate on as we use this in
> our workflow

Definitely. If there is something else you want to see changed or think
is odd wrt to regzbot or my work as regression tracker, just let me know.

> but that was my initial reaction to this first report.

Thx for the feedback, much appreciated.

Ciao, Thorsten

  Last update: 2021-11-25 12:58    [W:0.066 / U:0.324 seconds]