SubjectRe: [git pull] drm fixes + one missed next for 5.16-rc1
On Sun, Nov 14, 2021 at 1:00 PM Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:

> i915 will no longer be x86-64 only in theory, since Intel now produces
> PCIe graphics cards using the same hw designs.

Well, at least in my tree, it still has the "depends on X86", along
with several other x86-only things (like "select INTEL_GTT", which is
also x86-only)

So by the time that non-x86 theory becomes reality, hopefully the i915
people will also have figured out how to do the cache flushing
properly.

And hopefully that "do it properly" ends up being simply that the
particular configuration that ends up being portable simply doesn't
need to do it at all and can statically just not build it,
sidestepping the issue entirely.

Fingers crossed.

.. of course, I'm also sure some clueless hardware engineer is still
convinced that non-coherent IO is the way to go for graphics, and that
doing cross-CPU IPIs to write back all caches is somehow still a valid
model. Because some people were still convinced about that not _that_
long ago. Hopefully reality (perhaps in the form of Apple) has caused
people to finally reconsider.

Linus

  Last update: 2021-11-14 22:21    [W:0.060 / U:0.072 seconds]