SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] per signal_struct coredumps
[ Coming back to this email because I'm starting to see the light at
the end of the merge window tunnel .. ]

Adding the git list to see if somebody has suggestions, and
top-posting because the email from Eric is more of "explanation for
the issue" than anything else, so I'm quoting it at the end for
context.

The basic issue is how to sanely keep track of a cover letter when you
have a branch that you haven't sent out yet, but will ask somebody to
pull. It may still be seeing more testing and development before that
pull happens, though.

This very much smells of what the "branch description" is all about, but

(a) I suspect "git branch --edit-description" is not very well known

(b) it works well with "git request-pull", but not so much some other
things (like copying it into a signed tag)

(c) it makes an unholy mess of your config file if you actually use
it for extensive explanations (branch descriptions _work_ for
multi-line messages, but it really was designed as a one-liner thing).

(d) it doesn't work across repositories (ie multiple developers or
even just a single developer on multiple machines).

IOW, the "branch description" is _kind_ of the right thing, but not really.

The fake merge _does_ solve all these issues, it just then ends up
leaving that turd around in the history.

An empty commit would do it as well, but an empty commit very easily
gets lost (git rebase etc). The fake merge does have similar issues.

Both a fake merge, and an empty commit have the advantage that they
are easy to see and work with (ie "git log" and all the other git
workflows work very naturally).

Comments from git people?

Linus

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 9:38 AM Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:

> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:07 PM Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've pulled it, but I'm not convinced about that odd extra merge
> > commit that contains the commentary.
> >
> > That's what signed tags are for, and they have that explanation that
> > then makes it into the merge - plus they have the crypto signature to
> > show it all comes from you.
> >
> > So that would have been the much better model than a fake extra merge.
> >
> > But at least that extra merge did have explanations, so at least it
> > doesn't trigger me on _that_ level.
>
> I have been creating those when I place a patchset with an interesting
> cover letter in a branch. Now with the entire branch being just that
> patchset, it doesn't make a lot of sense (except as somewhere to store
> that cover letter so I don't loose it). At other times when there are
> multiple sets of changes on a single branch I think it makes more sense.
>
> Am I missing a better way to preserve the cover letter for the
> changes when multiple sets of changes land in a single branch?
>
> Eric

  Last update: 2021-11-13 20:15    [W:0.081 / U:0.048 seconds]