SubjectRe: [RFC] hypercall-vsock: add a new vsock transport
On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 07:12:36AM +0000, Wang, Wei W wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We plan to add a new vsock transport based on hypercall (e.g. vmcall on Intel CPUs).
>It transports AF_VSOCK packets between the guest and host, which is similar to
>virtio-vsock, vmci-vsock and hyperv-vsock.
>
>Compared to the above listed vsock transports which are designed for high performance,
>the main advantages of hypercall-vsock are:
>
>1) It is VMM agnostic. For example, one guest working on hypercall-vsock can run on
>
>either KVM, Hyperv, or VMware.
>
>2) It is simpler. It doesn't rely on any complex bus enumeration
>
>(e.g. virtio-pci based vsock device may need the whole implementation of PCI).
>
>An example usage is the communication between MigTD and host (Page 8 at
>https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/kvmforum2021/ef/TDX%20Live%20Migration_Wei%20Wang.pdf).
>MigTD communicates to host to assist the migration of the target (user)
>TD.
>MigTD is part of the TCB, so its implementation is expected to be as simple as possible
>(e.g. bare mental implementation without OS, no PCI driver support).

Adding Andra and Sergio, because IIRC Firecracker and libkrun emulates
virtio-vsock with virtio-mmio so the implementation should be simple and
also not directly tied to a specific VMM.

Maybe this fit for your use case too, in this way we don't have to
maintain another driver.

Thanks,
Stefano

  Last update: 2021-11-10 12:18    [W:0.038 / U:0.048 seconds]