SubjectRe: Potentially Broken Address Dependency via test_bit() When Compiling With Clang
On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 at 14:17, Peter Zijlstra <peterz@infradead.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > potentially broken dependency orderings in the Linux kernel. I'm being
> > advised by Marco Elver, Charalampos Mainas, Pramod Bhatotia (Cc'd).
>
> Nice! Great to see someone working on this!
>
> > For context, see:
> > https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/7/contributions/821/attachments/598/1075/LPC_2020_--_Dependency_ordering.pdf
> >
> > Our approach consists of two LLVM compiler passes which annotate
> > dependencies in unoptimised intermediate representation (IR) and verify
> > the annotated dependencies in optimised IR. ATM, the passes only
> > recognise a subset of address dependencies - everything is still WIP ;-)
> >
> > We have been cross-compiling with a slightly modified version of
> > allyesconfig for arm64, and the passes have now found a case that we
> > would like to share with LKML for feedback: an address dependency being
> > broken (?) through compiler optimisations in
> > fs/afs/addr_list.c::afs_iterate_addresses().
> >
> > Address dependency in source code, lines 373 - 375 in fs/afs/addr_list.c:
> >
> > > [...]
> > > index = READ_ONCE(ac->alist->preferred);
> > > if (test_bit(index, &set))
> > > goto selected;
> > > [...]
> >
> > where test_bit() expands to the following in
> > include/asm-generic/bitops/non-atomic.h, lines 115 - 122:
> >
> > > static __always_inline int
> > > arch_test_bit(unsigned int nr, const volatile unsigned long *addr)
> > > {
> > > return 1UL & (addr[BIT_WORD(nr)] >> (nr & (BITS_PER_LONG-1)));
> > > }
> > > #define test_bit arch_test_bit
> >
> > The address dependency gets preserved in unoptimised IR since the virtual register %33 transitively depends on %28:
> >
> > > %28 = load volatile i8, i8* %preferred, align 2, !annotation !15
> > > store i8 %28, i8* %tmp21, align 1
> > > %29 = load i8, i8* %tmp21, align 1
> > > %conv23 = zext i8 %29 to i32
> > > store i32 %conv23, i32* %index, align 4
> > > %30 = load i32, i32* %index, align 4
> > > store i32 %30, i32* %nr.addr.i, align 4
> > > store i64* %set, i64** %addr.addr.i, align 8
> > > %31 = load i64*, i64** %addr.addr.i, align 8
> > > %32 = load i32, i32* %nr.addr.i, align 4
> > > %div.i = udiv i32 %32, 64
> > > %idxprom.i = zext i32 %div.i to i64
> > > %arrayidx.i = getelementptr i64, i64* %31, i64 %idxprom.i
> > > %33 = load volatile i64, i64* %arrayidx.i, align 8, !annotation !16
> >
> > In optimised IR, there is no dependency between the two volatile loads
> > anymore:
> >
> > > %11 = load volatile i8, i8* %preferred, align 2, !annotation !19
> > > %conv25 = zext i8 %11 to i32
> > > %set.0. = load volatile i64, i64* %set, align 8
> >
> > Now, since @nr traces back to the READ_ONCE() to @index, does this make
> > the load from @addr in test_bit() address-dependent on that READ_ONCE()?
> > Should the load from @addr therefore be ordered against the READ_ONCE()?
>
> I would personally not consider this a dependend load. The result
> depends on two loads, but there is no actual ordering between them.

Note that test_bit() does the load in terms of this: "...
addr[BIT_WORD(nr)] ..."
which means the address loaded does depend on 'nr'. And in the case
here 'nr' is a READ_ONCE()'d. From all the documentation we can find,
we think it's technically an addr-dep, albeit a pretty useless one.

I guess in this case nobody cares very much, because 'set' is on the
stack and not modified concurrently.

> A dependent load would be something where the address of the second load
> depends on the value of the first load, eg:
>
> r1 = *x;
> r2 = *(y + r1);
>
> typically derefencing or array accesses have this pattern. The canonical
> example being rcu_dereference(), and is the reason Paul Mckenney is
> arguing that pointers should carry dependecies; I'll let him refer to
> the many C language papers on this.
>
> Other examples, ones we're actually worried about the compiler breaking,
> are, for example, the array access as found in __ktime_get_fast_ns():
>
> seq = READ_ONCE(tkf->seq);
> tkr = tkf->base + (seq & 1);
> now = tkr->...
>
> Here the dependency is on an integer (seq), and worse, only a single bit
> of it. If the compiler were this to transform into something like:
>
> seq = READ_ONCE(tkf->seq)
> if (seq & 1) {
> // use tkf->base[1]
> } else {
> // use tkf->base[0]
> }
>
> Then it would be broken, since the condition doesn't order the two loads
> and they can be re-ordered. Which in turn breaks the premise of the
> seqcount_latch construct -- see the comment that goes with
> raw_write_seqcount_latch() in seqlock.h.
>
> hth,
>
> ~Peter

  Last update: 2021-10-27 14:25    [W:0.092 / U:0.060 seconds]