SubjectRe: [RFC 11/20] iommu/iommufd: Add IOMMU_IOASID_ALLOC/FREE
On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 06:53:01AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

Ok. I have mixed thoughts on this. Doing this at ALLOC time was my
first instict as well. However with Jason's suggestion that any of a
number of things could disambiguate multiple IOAS attached to a
device, I wonder if it makes more sense for consistency to put base
address at attach time, as with PASID.

I do think putting the size of the IOVA range makes sense to add at
IOASID_ALLOC time - for basically every type of window. They'll
nearly always have some limit, which is relevant pretty early.

> > > It is a hint as no additional restriction is
> > > imposed,
> >
> > For the qemu type use case, that's not true. In that case we
> > *require* the available mapping ranges to match what the guest
> > platform expects.
>
> I didn't get the 'match' part. Here we are talking about your case 3
> where the available ranges are fixed. There is nothing that the
> guest can change in this case, as long as it allocates iova always in
> the reported ranges.

Sorry, I don't understand the question.

> > > since the kernel only cares about no violation on permitted
> > > ranges that it reports to the user. Underlying iommu driver may use
> > > this hint to optimize e.g. deciding how many levels are used for
> > > the kernel-managed page table according to max addr.

> > > If ppc iommu driver needs to configure hardware according to the
> > > specified ranges, then it requires more than a hint thus better be
> > > conveyed via ppc specific cmd as Jason suggested.
> >
> > Again, a hint at what stage of the setup process are you thinking?

> > need
> > > >

> > > This doesn't work for other platforms, which don't have vIOMMU
> > > mandatory as on ppc. For those platforms, the initial address space
> > > is GPA (for vm case) and Qemu needs to mark those GPA holes as
> > > reserved in firmware structure. I don't think anyone wants a tedious
> > > try-and-fail process to figure out how many holes exists in a 64bit
> > > address space...
> >
> > Ok, I'm not quite sure how this works. The holes are guest visible,
> > which generally means they have to be fixed by the guest *platform*
> > and can't depend on host information. Otherwise, migration is totally
> > broken. I'm wondering if this only works by accident now, because the
> > holes are usually in the same place on all x86 machines.
>
> I haven't checked how qemu handle it today after vfio introduces the
> capability of reporting valid iova ranges (Alex, can you help confirm?).
> But there is no elegant answer. if qemu doesn't put the holes in
> GPA space it means guest driver might be broken if dma buffer happens
> to sit in the hole. this is even more severe than missing live migration.
> for x86 the situation is simpler as the only hole is 0xfeexxxxx on all
> platforms (with gpu as an exception).

Right.. I suspect this is the only reason it's working now on x86.

> other arch may have more holes
> though.
>
> regarding live migration with vfio devices, it's still in early stage. there
> are tons of compatibility check opens to be addressed before it can
> be widely deployed. this might just add another annoying open to that
> long list...

So, yes, live migration with VFIO is limited, unfortunately this
still affects us even if we don't (currently) have VFIO devices. The
problem arises from the combination of two limitations:

1) Live migration means that we can't dynamically select guest visible
IOVA parameters at qemu start up time. We need to get consistent
guest visible behaviour for a given set of qemu options, so that we
can migrate between them.

2) Device hotplug means that we don't know if a PCI domain will have
VFIO devices on it when we start qemu. So, we don't know if host
limitations on IOVA ranges will affect the guest or not.

Together these mean that the best we can do is to define a *fixed*
(per machine type) configuration based on qemu options only. That is,
defined by the guest platform we're trying to present, only, never
host capabilities. We can then see if that configuration is possible
on the host and pass or fail. It's never safe to go the other
direction and take host capabilities and present those to the guest.

Obviously, we then try to define the default platform configuration in
qemu to be usable on the greatest number of hosts we can.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

  Last update: 2021-10-25 07:30    [W:0.195 / U:0.420 seconds]