SubjectRe: Linux 5.15-rc6
On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 11:07:16AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Mark, please stop doing these mindless AND INCORRECT back-merges of my
> tree. There is absolutely no excuse for garbage like this:

Sorry about that. JFTR (and bearing in mind your other points) it looks
like I messed up the first time and then didn't notice that the bad
merge was in my rerere cache the second time, if I am doing these I
should remember to specify --no-rerere-autoupdate so that any mistakes
that do happen are less likely to get repeated.

> If you really need to do a back-merge, explain WHY. And it had better
> be some important reason.

> In particular, the reson should not be "fix conflict", because you're
> clearly not particularly good at it.

A good portion (I'm pretty sure the majority) of the backmerges I do are
due to dependencies for new patches, but obviously you can't tell that
without something in the commit log which like you say should be there
and will be in future.

  Last update: 2021-10-25 22:00    [W:0.151 / U:0.024 seconds]