SubjectRe: [PM] bfcc1e67ff: kernel-selftests.breakpoints.step_after_suspend_test.fail
On 10/20/21 9:00 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 5:34 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It won't break anything, although the things that didn't work before
>>> will still not work after it.
>>>
>>> And "mem" is always supported even if there are no suspend_ops at all,
>>> in which case it becomes an alternative way to trigger s2idle.
>>>
>>> So, on the affected systems, what's there in /sys/power/? Is
>>> mem_sleep present? If so, what's in it?
>>
>> With 4.9 which is what I used initially:
>>
>> # cat /sys/power/state
>> freeze standby
>> # cat /sys/power/
>> pm_async pm_print_times pm_wakeup_irq wakeup_count
>> pm_freeze_timeout pm_test state
>>
>> With a newer kernel without my patch:
>>
>> # cat /sys/power/state
>> freeze standby mem
>> # cat /sys/power/mem_sleep
>> s2idle shallow [deep]
>
> OK, so the "deep" and "shallow" suspend variants appear to be
> supported. What's the problem with advertising "mem" then?

s2idle and shallow are, but deep is not.

>> # cat /sys/power/
>> mem_sleep pm_freeze_timeout pm_wakeup_irq wakeup_count
>> pm_async pm_print_times state
>> pm_debug_messages pm_test suspend_stats/

>>> Certainly not.
>>>
>>> I've just hacked my test-bed system with ACPI so it does not register
>>> any suspend_ops at all and I have "freeze mem disk" in
>>> /sys/power/state and "s2idle" in /sys/power/mem_sleep. Writing "mem"
>>> to /sys/power/state causes s2idle to be carried out.
>>>
>>> Since this is the expected behavior, I'm not sure what the problem is.
>>
>> The problem is advertising "mem" in /sys/power/state when the state is
>> not actually supported by the platform firmware here, whether that
>> translates into the form of s2idle or not. It is not supported, and it
>> should not be there IMHO.
>
> Well, it is there, because some user space expects it to be there on
> systems supporting any kind of system-wide suspend, including s2idle.
> Like it or not.

But that was not the case before 406e79385f32 ("PM / sleep: System sleep
state selection interface rework") and clearly nobody complained about
that, did they?

> If it is not there, the utilities in question assume that system-wide
> suspend is not supported at all.

What utilities do depend on that? That selftest that does not even check
that "mem" is actually present in /sys/power/state and just fails its
test if it is not, yes it's not great, but that can be fixed.

>> I was late to the game in identifying that,
>> but the 4.9 kernel makes sense to me.
>>
>> Similarly, if you take arch/powerpc/sysdev/fsl_pmc.c only
>> PM_SUSPEND_STANDBY is valid, so advertising mem would be wrong if we
>> don't look at what ->valid tells us.
>
> Again: "mem" appears in /sys/power/state if the system supports any
> kind of system-wide suspend (because of the expectations of user space
> mentioned above) and mem_sleep decides what it really means.
>
> And this is documented too (see Documentation/admin-guide/pm/sleep-states.html).

The documentation just states that if the kernel supports *any* suspend
state, then /sys/power/state will be present and likewise for
/sys/power/mem_sleep, it does not say what the contents will be and that
"mem" would always be present in there.
--
Florian

  Last update: 2021-10-20 20:17    [W:0.099 / U:0.488 seconds]