SubjectRe: BMI160 accelerometer on AyaNeo tablet
On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:02 PM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 09:02:40PM +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> > I also suspect a mistake from the hardware vendors.
> >
> > I attached all DSDT decompiled, which shows that they indeed use that
> > ID, and I also attached the windows driver .INF which was published on
> > their website with the driver (https://www.ayaneo.com/downloads)
> >
> > They are a small startup so they might have used the realtek ID by mistake.
> > I added them to the CC.
>
> Thank you for sharing. Seems they indeed used (deliberately or not) the wrong
> ID. So there are questions I have:
> - Is the firmware available in the wild?

Likely so. It looks Aya team only released a single windows driver which
works on all revisions of their device including the Founder Edition,
which was released more that a year ago.

It is likely that all 3 revisions that they sold carry this ACPI ID.
(The founder edition, first batch of IndieGoGo orders which had a
redesigned shell,
and 2nd batch (which I have) which has a new wifi card, a bit better
controller,
among other changes).

> - Do they plan to update firmware to fix this?
> - Can we make sure that guys got their mistake and will be more careful
> in the future?

I CCed them, hoping that they would hear us. I can also raise this on their
discord when I find time to look there.

> Realtek probably should make this ID marked somehow broken and not use
> in their products in case the answer to the first of the above question
> is "yes". (Of course in case the ID will be used for solely PCI enumerated
> product there will be no conflict, I just propose to be on the safest side,
> but remark should be made somewhere).

> > BTW, I also notice a rotation matrix embedded in DSTD, but the linux's
> > BMI160 driver doesn't recognize it.
>
> This is done by the commit 8a0672003421 ("iio: accel: bmc150: Get
> mount-matrix from ACPI") which needs to be amended to take care about
> more devices, somewhere in drivers/iio/industialio-acpi.c ? Jonathan,
> Hans, what do you think?

If you like to, I can probably volunteer to prepare a patch for this myself next
weekend, using this pointer as a reference.

> P.S. As I said, the commit message and the code (in the comments) should
> be very well elaborated and only accepted in case the firmware is already
> in the wild on the market.

I will prepare a patch with a better commit description this weekend.

Thank you very much,
Best regards,
Maxim Levitsky

> --
> With Best Regards,
> Andy Shevchenko

  Last update: 2021-10-18 22:43    [W:0.079 / U:0.632 seconds]