SubjectRe: [RFC 13/20] iommu: Extend iommu_at[de]tach_device() for multiple devices group
On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 02:57:12PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:

> The first user might read this. Subsequent users are likely to just
> copy paste examples from earlier things without fully understanding
> them. In general documenting restrictions somewhere is never as
> effective as making those restrictions part of the interface signature
> itself.

I'd think this argument would hold more water if you could point to
someplace in existing userspace that cares about the VFIO grouping.

From what I see the applications do what the admin tells them to do -
and if the admin says to use a certain VFIO device then that is
excatly what they do. I don't know of any applications that ask the
admin to tell them group information.

What I see is aligning what the kernel provides to the APIs the
applications have already built.

Jason

  Last update: 2021-10-18 18:32    [W:1.303 / U:0.132 seconds]