SubjectRe: Regression with mainline kernel on rpi4
On Thu, Sep 30, 2021 at 11:19:59AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 10:34:46AM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> > Hi Daniel,

> > > You also have no locking
> >
> > Indeed. Do we just need locking to prevent a concurrent audio setup and
> > modeset, or do you have another corner case in mind?
> >
> > Also, generally, what locks should we make sure we have locked when
> > accessing the connector and CRTC state? drm_mode_config.connection_mutex
> > and drm_mode_config.mutex, respectively?
> >
> > > plus looking at ->state objects outside of atomic commit machinery
> > > makes no sense because you're not actually in sync with the hw state.
> > > Relevant bits need to be copied over at commit time, protected by some
> > > spinlock (and that spinlock also needs to be held over whatever other
> > > stuff you're setting to make sure we don't get a funny out-of-sync
> > > state anywhere).
> >
> > If we already have a lock protecting against having both an ASoC and KMS
> > function running, it's not clear to me what the spinlock would prevent
> > here?
>
> Replicating the irc chat here. With
>
> commit 6c5ed5ae353cdf156f9ac4db17e15db56b4de880
> Author: Maarten Lankhorst <maarten.lankhorst@linux.intel.com>
> Date: Thu Apr 6 20:55:20 2017 +0200
>
> drm/atomic: Acquire connection_mutex lock in drm_helper_probe_single_connector_modes, v4.
>
> this is already taken care of for drivers and should be all good from a
> locking pov.

So, if I understand this properly, this superseeds your comment on the
spinlock for the hw state, but not the comment that we need some locking
to synchronize between the audio and KMS path (and CEC?). Right?

Maxime

  Last update: 2021-10-13 17:02    [W:0.173 / U:0.284 seconds]