SubjectRe: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core
From
On 13/10/21 12:25, Liu, Jing2 wrote:
> [...]
>> - the internal KVM value attached to guest_fpu. When #NM happens, this
>> one becomes zero.
>
>> The CPU value is:
>>
>> - the guest_fpu value between kvm_load_guest_fpu and kvm_put_guest_fpu.
>> This ensures that no state is lost in the case you are describing.
>>

> OK, you mean using guest_fpu as a KVM value. Let me describe the
> flow to see if anything missing.
>
> When #NM trap which makes passthrough, guest_fpu XFD set to 0 and keeps
> forever. (don't change HW XFD which is still 1)
> In the #NM trap, KVM alloc buffer and regenerate a #NM exception to guest
> to make guest kernel alloc its thread buffer.
> Then in next vmexit, KVM sync vcpu->arch.xfd, load guest_fpu value (=0) and
> update current->thread.fpu XFD to 0 for kernel reference.

In the #NM handler, KVM allocates the buffer and the guest_fpu XFD
becomes zero. Also because the guest_fpu XFD is zero:

- #NM vmexits are disabled. More precisely, trapping #NM is only
necessary if guest_fpu->xfd & ~vcpu->arch.xfd & vcpu->arch.xcr0 is
nonzero (i.e. only if there is a state that is guest_fpu-disabled, but
enabled according to both XFD and XCR0).

- On the next vmentry XFD is set to just vcpu->arch.xfd and the
instruction is retried. If the instruction causes an #NM in the guest,
it is not trapped and delivered normally to the guest.

>> I think it's simpler to always wait for #NM, it will only happen once
>> per vCPU. In other words, even if the guest clears XFD before it
>> generates #NM, the guest_fpu's XFD remains nonzero
>
> You mean a wrmsr trap doesn't do anything and return back?

The guest might run with the same XFD value as before (which is
guest_fpu->xfd | vcpu->arch.xfd), but vcpu->arch.xfd is changed. The
value in vcpu->arch.xfd will be read back by an RDMSR, because
passthrough is not enabled and the RDMSR will cause a vmexit.

Once an #NM is received and guest_fpu->xfd becomes zero, passthrough can
be enabled.

Paolo

> In this case, when next vmenter, the OR of the guest value
> (vcpu->arch.xfd) and the guest_fpu value is still 1, so this
> doesn't obey guest's HW assumption? (guest finds the wrmsr
> didn't work)

  Last update: 2021-10-13 14:38    [W:0.135 / U:0.588 seconds]