SubjectRe: [RFC][arm64] possible infinite loop in btrfs search_ioctl()
On Mon, Oct 11, 2021 at 2:08 PM Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@arm.com> wrote:

> +#ifdef CONFIG_ARM64_MTE
> +#define FAULT_GRANULE_SIZE (16)
> +#define FAULT_GRANULE_MASK (~(FAULT_GRANULE_SIZE-1))

[...]

> If this looks in the right direction, I'll do some proper patches
> tomorrow.

Looks fine to me. It's going to be quite expensive and bad for caches, though.

That said, fault_in_writable() is _supposed_ to all be for the slow
path when things go south and the normal path didn't work out, so I
think it's fine.

I do wonder how the sub-page granularity works. Is it sufficient to
just read from it? Because then a _slightly_ better option might be to
do one write per page (to catch page table writability) and then one
read per "granule" (to catch pointer coloring or cache poisoning
issues)?

That said, since this is all preparatory to us wanting to write to it
eventually anyway, maybe marking it all dirty in the caches is only
good.

Linus

  Last update: 2021-10-12 02:00    [W:0.025 / U:0.028 seconds]