SubjectRe: Old platforms: bring out your dead

On 1/8/2021 2:55 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> After v5.10 was officially declared an LTS kernel, I had a look around
> the Arm platforms that look like they have not seen any patches from
> their maintainers or users that are actually running the hardware for
> at least five years (2015 or earlier). I made some statistics and lists
> for my lwn.net article last year [1], so I'd thought I'd share a summary
> here for discussion about what we should remove. As I found three
> years ago when I removed several CPU architectures, it makes sense
> to do this in bulk, to simplify a scripted search for device drivers, header
> files and Kconfig options that become unused in the process.
>
> This is probably a mix of platforms that are completely unused and
> those that just work, but I have no good way of knowing which one
> it is. Without hearing back about these, I'd propose removing all of
> these:
>
> * asm9260 -- added in 2014, no notable changes after 2015
> * axxia -- added in 2014, no notable changes after 2015
> * bcm/kona -- added in 2013, no notable changes after 2014

I have a development board that I occasionally turn on for testing
upstream kernels, it has not broken in a while which is why it did not
get much updates. I don't feel strongly with respect to keep it or
dropping it though.
--
Florian

  Last update: 2021-01-09 18:36    [W:0.030 / U:0.072 seconds]