SubjectRe: [RFC PROPOSAL] memcg: per-memcg user space reclaim interface
Hi Michal,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 10:36 AM Michal Koutný <mkoutny@suse.com> wrote:

> Hi Shakeel.
>
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2020 at 10:02:50AM -0700, Shakeel Butt <shakeelb@google.com> wrote:
> > > Well, I was talkingg about memory.low. It is not meant only to protect
> > > from the global reclaim. It can be used for balancing memory reclaim
> > > from _any_ external memory pressure source. So it is somehow related to
> > > the usecase you have mentioned.
> > >

> > For the uswapd use-case, I am not concerned about the external memory
> > pressure source but the application hitting its own memory.high limit
> > and getting throttled.
> FTR, you can transform own memory.high into "external" pressure with a
> hierarchy such as
>
> limit-group memory.high=N+margin memory.low=0
> `- latency-sensitive-group memory.low=N
> `- regular-group memory.low=0
>
> Would that ensure the latency targets?

My concern was not "whom to reclaim from" but it was "If I use
memory.high for reclaim, processes running in that memcg can hit
memory.high and get throttled". However Roman has reduced the window
where that can happen. Anyways I will send the next version after this
merge window closes.

Shakeel

  Last update: 2020-08-12 22:48    [W:0.053 / U:2.856 seconds]