SubjectRe: [RFC] libperf: Add support for user space counter access
On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 10:49:30AM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 4:50 AM Jiri Olsa <jolsa@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks for the quick feedback. Would this be better implemented as a
> > > fast path for perf_evsel__read()? If so, how to get the mmap data
> >
> > if it works for all events, which I'm not sure of
> >
> > > which is associated with a evlist rather than a evsel?
> >
> > not sure what you mean, you can mmap evsel, not evlist
>
> While yes the mmap is created from an evsel fd, they are ultimately
> associated with the evlist struct and are per thread or cpu. If
> there's more than 1 evsel, then the additional ones are set to the 1st
> mmap with PERF_EVENT_IOC_SET_OUTPUT. Which I now realize means this
> RFC only works for the first evsel. So I guess the API needs to work
> something like this:
>
> threads = perf_thread_map__new_dummy();
> perf_thread_map__set_pid(threads, 0, 0);
>
> evsel = perf_evsel__new(&attr);
> perf_evsel__open(evsel, NULL, threads);

hum, I wonder we should remove maps from perf_evsel__open
args and factor out some perf_evsel__set_map function..

> perf_evsel__mmap(evsel); <--- *new*

.. because you'll need those maps in here, right?

> perf_evsel__read(evsel, 0, 0, &counts); // If we have an mmap, then
> try a direct read
>

> Perhaps some refactoring of the mmap code in evlist.c will be needed,
> but the usage seems pretty orthogonal. I'd propose that mmapping via
> perf_evlist__mmap() behavior remain unchanged and direct access is not
> supported in that case.

seems ok to me, perf_evlist__mmap and perf_evsel__mmap would
mean to mutually exclusive usages

thanks,
jirka

  Last update: 2020-08-12 15:06    [W:0.596 / U:0.004 seconds]