SubjectRe: [mm] 4e2c82a409: ltp.overcommit_memory01.fail
On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 10:15:19PM +0800, Feng Tang wrote:
> Hi Qian Cai,

> > > I tested the reorder way, and the test could pass in 100 times run. The
> > > new order when changing policy to OVERCOMMIT_NEVER:
> > > 1. re-compute the batch ( to the smaller one)
> > > 2. do the on_each_cpu sync
> > > 3. really change the policy to NEVER.
> > >
> > > It solves one of previous concern, that after the sync is done on cpuX,
> > > but before the whole sync on all cpus are done, there is a window that
> > > the percpu-counter could be enlarged again.
> > >
> > > IIRC Andi had concern about read side cost when doing the sync, my
> > > understanding is most of the readers (malloc/free/map/unmap) are using
> > > percpu_counter_read_positive, which is a fast path without involving lock.
> > >
> > > As for the problem itself, I agree with Michal's point, that usually there
> > > is no normal case that will change the overcommit_policy too frequently.
> > >
> > > The code logic is mainly in overcommit_policy_handler(), based on the
> > > previous sync fix. please help to review, thanks!
> > >
> > > int overcommit_policy_handler(struct ctl_table *table, int write, void *buffer,
> > > size_t *lenp, loff_t *ppos)
> > > {
> > > int ret;
> > >
> > > if (write) {
> > > int new_policy;
> > > struct ctl_table t;
> > >
> > > t = *table;
> > > t.data = &new_policy;
> > > ret = proc_dointvec_minmax(&t, write, buffer, lenp, ppos);
> > > if (ret)
> > > return ret;
> > >
> > > mm_compute_batch(new_policy);
> > > if (new_policy == OVERCOMMIT_NEVER)
> > > schedule_on_each_cpu(sync_overcommit_as);
> > > sysctl_overcommit_memory = new_policy;
> > > } else {
> > > ret = proc_dointvec_minmax(table, write, buffer, lenp, ppos);
> > > }
> > >
> > > return ret;
> > > }
> >
> > Rather than having to indent those many lines, how about this?
>
> Thanks for the cleanup suggestion.
>
> > t = *table;
> > t.data = &new_policy;
>
> The input table->data is actually &sysctl_overcommit_memory, so
> there is a problem for "read" case, it will return the 'new_policy'
> value instead of real sysctl_overcommit_memory.
>
> It should work after adding a check
> if (write)
> t.data = &new_policy;
>
> > ret = proc_dointvec_minmax(table, write, buffer, lenp, ppos);
> --> &t

Give it a second thought, my previous way has more indents and lines,
but it is easier to be understood that we have special handling for
'write' case. So I would prefer using it.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Feng

> Thanks,
> Feng
>
> > if (ret || !write)
> > return ret;
> > mm_compute_batch(new_policy);
> > if (new_policy == OVERCOMMIT_NEVER)
> > schedule_on_each_cpu(sync_overcommit_as);
> >
> > sysctl_overcommit_memory = new_policy;
> > return ret;

  Last update: 2020-07-10 03:39    [W:0.140 / U:0.076 seconds]