SubjectRe: [RFC PROPOSAL] memcg: per-memcg user space reclaim interface
On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 09:27:19AM -0700, Shakeel Butt wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 8:50 AM Roman Gushchin <guro@fb.com> wrote:

> > I initially liked the proposal, but after some thoughts I've realized
> > that I don't know a good use case where memory.high is less useful.
> > Shakeel, what's the typical use case you thinking of?
> > Who and how will use the new interface?
> >

> > > Yes, we can use memory.high to trigger [proactive] reclaim in a memcg
> > > but note that it can also introduce stalls in the application running
> > > in that memcg. Let's suppose the memory.current of a memcg is 100MiB
> > > and we want to reclaim 20MiB from it, we can set the memory.high to
> > > 80MiB but any allocation attempt from the application running in that
> > > memcg can get stalled/throttled. I want the functionality of the
> > > reclaim without potential stalls.
> >
> > But reclaiming some pagecache/swapping out anon pages can always
> > generate some stalls caused by pagefaults, no?
> >

> Thanks for looking into the proposal. Let me answer both of your
> questions together. I have added the two use-cases but let me explain
> the proactive reclaim a bit more as we actually use that in our
> production.
>
> We have defined tolerable refault rates for the applications based on
> their type (latency sensitive or not). Proactive reclaim is triggered
> in the application based on their current refault rates and usage. If
> the current refault rate exceeds the tolerable refault rate then
> stop/slowdown the proactive reclaim.
>
> For the second question, yes, each individual refault can induce the
> stall as well but we have more control on that stall as compared to
> stalls due to reclaim. For us almost all the reclaimable memory is
> anon and we use compression based swap, so, the cost of each refault
> is fixed and a couple of microseconds.
>
> I think the next question is what about the refaults from disk or
> source with highly variable cost. Usually the latency sensitive
> applications remove such uncertainty by mlocking the pages backed by
> such backends (e.g. mlocking the executable) or at least that is the
> case for us.

Got it.

It feels like you're suggesting something similar to memory.high with
something similar to a different gfp flags. In other words, the
difference is only which pages can be reclaimed and which not. I don't
have a definitive answer here, but I wonder if we can somehow
generalize the existing interface? E.g. if the problem is with artificially
induced delays, we can have a config option/sysctl/sysfs knob/something else
which would disable it. Otherwise we risk ending up with many different kinds
of soft memory limits.

Thanks!

  Last update: 2020-07-06 23:40    [W:0.066 / U:0.016 seconds]