SubjectRe: (EXT) Re: (EXT) Re: Consistent block device references for root= cmdline
On Tue, 2020-07-07 at 16:14 +0200, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 at 13:20, Matthias Schiffer
> <matthias.schiffer@ew.tq-group.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2020-06-10 at 16:52 +0200, Ulf Hansson wrote:

> > > According to aliases attempts, I think those have failed, mainly
> > > because of two reasons.
> > >
> > > 1. Arguments stating that LABELs/UUIDs are variable alternatives.
> > > This
> > > isn't the case, which I think was also concluded from the several
> > > earlier discussions.
> > > 2. Patches that tried adding support for mmc aliases, were not
> > > correctly coded. More precisely, what needs to be addressed is
> > > that
> > > the mmc core also preserves the same ids to be set for the host
> > > class
> > > as the block device, mmc[n] must correspond to mmcblk[n].

> > > Lots of time during the years I have been approached, both
> > > publicly
> > > and offlist, about whether it would be possible to add support
> > > for
> > > "consistent" mmcblk devices. To me, I am fine with the aliases
> > > approach, as long as it gets implemented correctly.
> >

> > It seems the principal technical problem is the one described here:
> >
> > https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mmc/msg26602.html
> >
> > I don't see any way to solve this completely, as there seem to be
> > two
> > fundamentally conflicting requirements:
> >
> > 1) If a mounted SD card is replaced, it must be assigned a new
> > /dev/mmcblkN
> > 2) /dev/mmcblkN should always match the configured alias IDs
> >
> > What is the reason we need 1) - is it possible to have multiple
> > eMMCs
> > or SD cards on a single bus, with detection at runtime?
>
> Yes. The mmc_bus_type holds all cards - all discovered at runtime.
>
> > Otherwise I'd
> > expect this to be handled like other drives with removable media
> > (CD,
> > floppy), with static device assignment.
> >
> > If we can't give up on 1) for some reason, we'll have to accept
> > that we
> > can't guarantee 2) unconditionally. As far as I can tell, the
> > patches
> > provided by Sascha and others did that in a reasonable way: The
> > aliases
> > would work in most cases - in particular for the first assignment
> > on
> > boot, which is required to find the correct rootfs.
>
> Well, if we would pre-parse the DTB to look for all "mmc block
> aliases" and keep a mark of those ids as being reserved, then we
> should be able to cope with both 1) and 2).

Hello Ulf,

it seems to me like Sascha's patches from 2014 do precisely that:

https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mmc/msg26587.html
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-mmc/msg26588.html

I haven't looked into porting this to a modern kernel yet, but do you
think that the approach is sound?

> Kind regards
> Uffe

  Last update: 2020-07-29 10:43    [W:0.071 / U:1.572 seconds]