SubjectRe: Linux kernel in-tree Rust support
Hi!

> > No, please make it a "is rust available" automatic config option. The
> > exact same way we already do the compiler versions and check for
> > various availability of compiler flags at config time.
>
> That sounds even better, and will definitely allow for more testing.
>
> We just need to make sure that any kernel CI infrastructure tests that
> right away, then, so that failures don't get introduced by a patch from
> someone without a Rust toolchain and not noticed until someone with a
> Rust toolchain tests it.

So... I'm fan of Rust, but while trying to use it one thing was obvious: it
takes _significantly_ longer than C to compile and needs gigabyte a lot of RAM.

Kernel is quite big project, can CI infrastructure handle additional load?

Will developers see significantly longer compile times when Rust is widespread?

Best regards,
Pavel

  Last update: 2020-07-28 22:41    [W:0.085 / U:0.648 seconds]