SubjectRe: 答复: 答复: [PATC H] arm64: mm: fre e unused memmap for sparse memory model that define VMEMMAP
On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 01:40:34PM +0000, liwei (CM) wrote:
> Catalin Marinas wrote:

> > > In the sparse memory model, the size of a section is 1 GB
> > > (SECTION_SIZE_BITS 30) by default.
> >
> > Can we reduce SECTION_SIZE_BITS instead? Say 26?
>
> Yes, you are right, reduce SECTION_SIZE_BITS to 26 can save almost the
> same memory as the patch.
>
> 1) However, it is not clear whether changing the section size has any
> other impact.

Well, we should analyse this.

> 2) Just like the flat memory model and the sparse memory model that
> does not define VMEMMAP, both of them have their own ways to free
> unused memmap. I think we've given a similar way for sparse memory
> define VMEMMAP.

I think we did it for flatmem initially (on arm32) and added support for
sparsemem later on, so free_unused_memmap() had to cope with sparse
sections. On arm64 we introduced vmemmap support and didn't bother with
the freeing at all because of the added complexity of the vmemmap page
tables.

I wonder whether we should just disallow flatmem and non-vmemmap
sparsemem on arm64. Is there any value in keeping them around?

> 3) This explicit free unused memmap method does reduce unnecessary
> memory waste for users who do not notice the section size
> modification.

But if we changed SECTION_SIZE_BITS in the mainline kernel, then we
wouldn't need additional code to free the unused memmap.

--
Catalin

  Last update: 2020-07-23 13:30    [W:0.116 / U:1.104 seconds]