SubjectRE: Linux kernel in-tree Rust support
Date
From: Adrian Bunk
> Sent: 19 July 2020 19:19
> The correct range for a mandatory tool are the 6 to 12 years for gcc.
>
> Debian stable and Ubuntu LTS are providing (different) mechanisms
> for installing the kernel from the next stable/LTS release 2 years
> later[1] for supporting new hardware.
> If kernel 5.12 LTS cannot be compiled on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with
> the 2019 gcc 9 there would be pain downstream.

We have customers that are (still) using RHEL6 (2.6.32 era).
Since we have to build C++ programs that will run on those
systems we have systems with very old toolchains.
(Yes, you can build in a chroot or an a VM but that needs
setting up quite carefully - easier to keep the old machine.)

It is rather a PITA when kernel builds deprecate the installed gcc.
Now I'm not sure a 5.x kernel will run with the userspace from RHEL6.
But I know it runs with that from Ubuntu 13.04.
In a few years I'll be able to use the 13.04 system for release builds
but it is still far too new for that.
However I can no longer build 'current' custom kernels on it.
I've other (newer) systems but they aren't any (maybe much) faster.

David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)

  Last update: 2020-07-20 16:47    [W:0.091 / U:0.064 seconds]