SubjectRe: KCSAN: data-race in generic_file_buffered_read / generic_file_buffered_read
Excerpts from Eric Biggers's message of July 16, 2020 4:54 pm:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 04:24:01PM +1000, Nicholas Piggin wrote:
>> Excerpts from Eric Biggers's message of July 16, 2020 1:03 pm:

>> > Actually the VFS serializes concurrent read()'s on the same fd, at least for
>> > regular files.
>>
>> Hmm, where?
>
> It's serialized by file->f_pos_lock. See fdget_pos().

Ah thanks! Missed that.

>> > Data races are undefined behavior, so it's never guaranteed "fine".
>>
>> Is this a new requirement for the kernel? Even code which is purely an
>> optimisation (e.g. a readahead heuristic) can never be guaranteed to
>> be fine for a data race? As in, the compiler might be free to start
>> scribbling on memory because of undefined behaviour?
>>
>> What we used to be able to do is assume that the variable might take on
>> one or other value at any time its used (or even see split between the
>> two if the thing wasn't naturally aligned for example), but that was
>> quite well "defined". So we could in fact guarantee that it would be
>> fine.
>
> Not really, it's always been undefined behavior.
>
> AFAICT, there's tribal knowledge among some kernel developers about what types
> of undefined behavior are "okay" because they're thought to be unlikely to cause
> problems in practice. However except in certain cases (e.g., the kernel uses
> -fwrapv to make signed integer overflow well-defined, and -fno-strict-aliasing
> to make type aliasing well-defined) these cases have never been formally
> defined, and people disagree about them. If they have actually been formally
> defined, please point me to the documentation or compiler options.

Well we did traditionally say stores to natural aligned word types and
smaller were atomic (although being loff_t may not be true for 32-bit).
Kernel behaviour, rather than C (which as you say is not kernel
semantics).

> Data races in particular are tricky because there are a lot of ways for things
> to go wrong that people fail to think of; for some examples see:
> https://www.usenix.org/legacy/event/hotpar11/tech/final_files/Boehm.pdf
> https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/blogs/benign-data-races-what-could-possibly-go-wrong.html

If we abandon that and go with always explicit accessors okay. But none
of those are things that surprise the kernel model except this one

"So if a program stores to a variable X, the compiler can legally reuse
X’s storage for any temporal data inside of some region of code before
the store (e.g. to reduce stack frame size)."

Which is wrong and we'd never tolerate it in the kernel. We don't just
race with other threads but also our interrupts. preempt_enable()
called somewhere can't allow the compiler to enable preemption by
spilling zero to preempt_count in code before the call, for example.

So that would be disabled exactly the same as other insanity.

The only argument really is for race checkers.

>> > We can only
>> > attempt to conclude that it's fine "in practice" and is too difficult to fix,
>> > and therefore doesn't meet the bar to be fixed (for now).
>> >
>> > Of course, in most cases the preferred solution for data races is to introduce
>> > proper synchronization. As I said, I'm not sure that's feasible here. Memory
>> > barriers aren't the issue here; we'd need *locking*, which would mean concurrent
>> > readers would start contending for the lock. Other suggestions appreciated...
>>

>> ra->prev_pos = prev_index;
>> ra->prev_pos <<= PAGE_SHIFT;
>> 2246) ra->prev_pos |= prev_offset;
>>

>> In this case we can do better I guess, in case some compiler decides to
>> store a half-done calculation there because it ran out of registers.
>>
>> WRITE_ONCE(ra->prev_pos, ((loff_t)prev_index << PAGE_SHIFT) | prev_offset);
>>
>> As Dave said, adding WRITE_ONCE to the individual accesses would be
>> stupid because it does nothing to solve the actual race and makes it
>> harder to read in more than one way.
>
> Yes, obviously if we were to add READ/WRITE_ONCE we'd want to avoid storing
> intermediate results like that, in order to avoid some obvious race conditions.

Well the suggestion was to just simply add READ/WRITE once to all
accesses, not to fix them up. That would actually add more race
conditions.

> However, the overall use of file_ra_state is still racy. And it's passed to the
> functions in mm/readahead.c like page_cache_async_readahead() too, so all the
> accesses to it in those functions are data races too.
>
> I'm not really suggesting any specific solution; locking isn't really feasible
> here, and there would be an annoyingly large number of places that would need
> READ/WRITE_ONCE.

If you put behind some accessor functions it might become easier,
but...

> I just wish we had a better plan than "let's write some code with
> undefined behavior and hope it's okay".

It really isn't so undefined as you think. Again, we enforce against
insane compilers de facto if not written anywhere with our interrupt
races. So we really can guarantee it'll be okay.

Thanks,
Nick

  Last update: 2020-07-16 09:52    [W:0.101 / U:0.056 seconds]