SubjectRe: [git pull] drm for 5.8-rc1
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 7:37 PM James Jones <jajones@nvidia.com> wrote:

> On 7/1/20 10:04 AM, Karol Herbst wrote:

> > I assume the MR you were talking about is
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/3724 ?
>
> Correct.
>
> > I am
> > also aware of the tegra driver being broken on my jetson nano and I am
> > now curious if this MR could fix this bug as well... and sorry for the
> > harsh reply, I was just a annoyed by the fact that "everything
> > modifier related is just breaking things", first tegra and that nobody
> > is looking into fixing it and then apparently the userspace code being
> > quite broken as well :/
> >
> > Anyway, yeah I trust you guys on figuring out the keeping "broken"
> > userspace happy from a kernel side and maybe I can help out with
> > reviewing the mesa bits. I am just wondering if it could help with the
> > tegra situation giving me more reasons to look into it as this would
> > solve other issues I should be working on :)
>
> Not sure if you're claiming this, but if there's Tegra breakage
> attributable to this patch series, I'd love to hear more details there
> as well. The Tegra patches did have backwards-compat code to handle the
> old modifiers, since Tegra was the only working use case I could find
> for them within the kernel itself. However, the Tegra kernel patches
> are independent (and haven't even been reviewed yet to my knowledge), so
> Tegra shouldn't be affected at all given it uses TegraDRM rather than
> Nouveau's modesetting driver.
>
> If there are just general existing issues with modifier support on
> Tegra, let's take that to a smaller venue. I probably won't be as much
> help there, but I can at least try to help get some eyes on it.

I am sure that your patches here have nothing to do with it, just
inside mesa since
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/c56fe4118a2dd991ff1b2a532c0f234eddd435e9
it's broken on the jetson nano and because it's so old I am not able
to tell if this is because of some kernel changes or because of the
modifier code inside mesa being slightly broken.

Maybe you have an idea, but Thierry knows about the issue, but I think
he never was able to reproduce it on any system.