SubjectRe: [RFC] Restrict the untrusted devices, to bind to only a set of "whitelisted" drivers
On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 5:04 PM Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@kernel.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 09, 2020 at 04:23:54PM -0700, Rajat Jain wrote:
> > Hi Bjorn,
> >
> > Thanks for sending out the summary, I was about to send it out but got lazy.

> > > To sketch this out, my understanding of how this would work is:
> > >
> > > - Expose the PCI pdev->untrusted bit in sysfs. We don't expose this
> > > today, but doing so would be trivial. I think I would prefer a
> > > sysfs name like "external" so it's more descriptive and less of a
> > > judgment.
> >
> > Yes. I think we should probably semantically differentiate between
> > "external" and "external facing" devices. Root ports and downstream
> > ports can be "external facing" but are actually internal devices.
> > Anything below an "external facing" device is "external". So the sysfs
> > attribute "external" should be set only for devices that are truly
> > external.
>
> Good point; we (maybe you? :)) should fix that edge case.

Sure, happy to. I will start a fresh conversation about that (in a
separate thread).

> > Just a suggestion: Do you think an enum attribute may be better
> > instead, whose values could be "internal" / "external" /
> > "external-facing" in case need arises later to distinguish between
> > them?
>
> I don't see the need for an enum yet. Maybe we should add that
> if/when we do need it?

Sure, no problems. (I just wanted to slip the thought into the
conversation as UAPI is hard to change later).

> > > - Early userspace code prevents modular drivers from automatically
> > > binding to PCI devices:
> > >
> > > echo 0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers_autoprobe
> >
> > Yes.
> > I believe this setting will apply it equally to both modular and
> > statically linked drivers?
>
> Yes. The test is in bus_probe_device(), and it does the same for both
> modular and statically linked drivers.
>
> But for statically linked drivers, it only prevents them from binding
> to *hot-added* devices. They will claim devices present at boot even
> before userspace code can run.

Yes, understood.

> > The one thing that still needs more thought is how about the
> > "pcieport" driver that enumerates the PCI bridges. I'm unsure if it
> > needs to be whitelisted for further enumeration downstream. What do
> > you think?
>
> The pcieport driver is required for AER, PCIe native hotplug, PME,
> etc., and it cannot be a module, so the whitelist wouldn't apply to
> it.

Not that I see the need, but slight clarification needed just to make
sure I understand it clearly:

Since pcieport driver is statically compiled in, AER, pciehp, PME, DPC
etc will always be enabled for devices plugged in during boot. But I
can still choose to choose to allow or deny for devices added *after
boot* using the whitelist, right?

Also, denying pcieport driver for hot-added PCIe bridges only disables
these pcieport services on those bridges, but device enumeration
further downstream those bridges is not an issue?

> I assume you need hotplug support, so you would have pcieport
> enabled and built in statically.
>
> If you're using ACPI hotplug, that doesn't require pcieport.

Thank you, this was indeed a long and useful thread :-)

Best Regards,

Rajat

  Last update: 2020-06-10 02:31    [W:0.168 / U:1.468 seconds]