SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] SELinux patches for v5.8
On 6/3/2020 10:37 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 10:20 AM Casey Schaufler <casey@schaufler-ca.com> wrote:
>> We could have inode->i_security be the blob, rather than a pointer to it.
>> That will have its own performance issues.
> It wouldn't actually really fix anything, because the inode is so big
> and sparsely accessed that it doesn't even really help the cache
> density issue. Yeah, it gets rid of the pointer access, but that's
> pretty much it. The fact that we randomize the order means that we
> can't even really try to aim for any cache density.

Well, it was a thought.

> And it would actually not be possible with the current layered
> security model anyway, since those blob sizes are dynamic at runtime.

The model would have to change. The dynamic blob size is an artifact
of the model, not a driver.

> If we had _only_ SELinux, we could perhaps have hidden the
> sid/sclass/task_sid directly in the inode (it would be only slightly
> larger than the pointer is, anyway), but even that ship sailed long
> long ago due to the whole "no security person can ever agree with
> another one on fundamentals".

Not to mention that the security landscape keeps changing.

> So don't try to blame the rest of the system design.

That wasn't my intent. Apologies.

> This is on the
> security people. We've been able to handle other layers fairly well
> because they generally agree on fundamentals (although it can take
> decades before they then end up merging their code - things like the
> filesystem people standardizing on iomap and other core concepts). And
> as mentioned, when there is agreed-upon security rules (ie "struct
> cred") we've been able to spend the effort to architect it so that it
> doesn't add unnecessary overheads.
>
> Linus

  Last update: 2020-06-03 20:07    [W:1.328 / U:0.136 seconds]