SubjectRe: brocken devfreq simple_ondemand for Odroid XU3/4?

On 6/25/20 2:12 PM, Kamil Konieczny wrote:
> On 25.06.2020 14:02, Lukasz Luba wrote:
>>

>> On 6/25/20 12:30 PM, Kamil Konieczny wrote:
>>> Hi Lukasz,

>>> irq triggers for underflow and overflow, so driver can adjust freq
>>>

>> Probably possible on some platforms, depends on how many PMU registers
>> are available, what information can be can assign to them and type of
>> interrupt. A lot of hassle and still - platform and device specific.
>> Also, drivers should not adjust the freq, governors (different types
>> of them with different settings that they can handle) should do it.
>>
>> What the framework can do is to take this responsibility and provide
>> generic way to monitor the devices (or stop if they are suspended).
>> That should work nicely with the governors, which try to predict the
>> next best frequency. From my experience the more fluctuating intervals
>> the governors are called, the more odd decisions they make.
>> That's why I think having a predictable interval i.e. 100ms is something
>> desirable. Tuning the governors is easier in this case, statistics
>> are easier to trace and interpret, solution is not to platform specific,
>> etc.
>>
>> Kamil do you have plans to refresh and push your next version of the
>> workqueue solution?
>
> I do not, as Bartek takes over my work,
> +CC Bartek

Hi Lukasz,

As you remember in January Chanwoo has proposed another idea (to allow
selecting workqueue type by devfreq device driver):

"I'm developing the RFC patch and then I'll send it as soon as possible."
(https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pm/6107fa2b-81ad-060d-89a2-d8941ac4d17e@samsung.com/)

"After posting my suggestion, we can discuss it"
(https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pm/f5c5cd64-b72c-2802-f6ea-ab3d28483260@samsung.com/)

so we have been waiting on the patch to be posted..

Similarly we have been waiting on (any) feedback for exynos-bus/nocp
fixes for Exynos5422 support (which have been posted by Kamil also in
January):

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-pm/8f82d8d5-927b-afb4-272f-45c16b5a23b9@samsung.com/

Considering the above and how hard it has been to push the changes
through review/merge process last year we are near giving up when it
comes to upstream devfreq contributions. Sylwester is still working on
exynos-bus & interconnect integration (continuation of Artur Swigon's
work from last year) & related issues (IRQ support for PPMU) but
I'm seriously considering putting it all on-hold..

Best regards,
--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Samsung R&D Institute Poland

  Last update: 2020-06-26 13:23    [W:0.106 / U:0.280 seconds]