SubjectRe: linux-next: build failures after merge of the hid tree
[adding Cristian, the author of the patch]

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 2:37 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 14:04:21 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> >
> > After merging the hid tree, today's linux-next build (x86_64 allmodconfig)
> > failed like this:
> >
> > drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ipc/ipc.c:12:10: fatal error: client.h: No such file or directory
> > 12 | #include "client.h"
> > | ^~~~~~~~~~
> > drivers/hid/intel-ish-hid/ipc/pci-ish.c:22:10: fatal error: ishtp-dev.h: No such file or directory
> > 22 | #include "ishtp-dev.h"
> > | ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > I don't know what caused it, but commit
> >
> > 470376737e88 ("HID: allow building hid.ko as an external module")

I am under the impression that this patch is causing the issue.

I am tempted to revert it (and force push the branch hid/for-5.9/core)
given that the 0-day bot also complained.

> > did not fix it. BTW, I build with "make O=...".
> >
> > I have used the hid tree from next-20200618 for today.
> >
> > BTW, the hid tree really needs cleaning up, it contains merge commits dating
> > back to April 2018 :-(

We are carefully not force pushing the hid/for-next branch, and all
the merges you are seeing there are the various merges we do after
including a patch that will be sent to linus later. Our for-next
branch never gets merged into for-linus, we handle that separately.

I always thought you prefer not having forced push on the for-next
branch. But if you rather us overwriting the tip of the branch at
every commit, we can do it for sure.

For reference, the way we handle branches are:
- master branch follows Linus' when there is an upstream merge of the
hid/for-linus branch
- every single commit goes into a branch named
for-<kernel_version>/<feature_name>
- those branches are created on top of current master and are never rebased
- every time we add a patch (series) on top of a feature branch, we
merge that into hid/for-next
- when we need to send a pull request to Linus, we merge the matching
"for-<kernel_version>/*" branches into hid/for-linus

This allows to keep a clear view of what is scheduled to be sent. But
the counterpart is that the hid/for-next branch never gets merged back
into hid/for-linus.

Cheers,
Benjamin

> > $ git rev-list --count origin/master..hid/for-next
> > 301
> > $ git rev-list --no-merges --count origin/master..hid/for-next
> > 12
>
> I am still getting this failure.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Stephen Rothwell

  Last update: 2020-06-23 16:25    [W:0.650 / U:0.060 seconds]