SubjectRe: Strange problem with SCTP+IPv6
> On 22. Jun 2020, at 18:57, Corey Minyard <minyard@acm.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 08:01:23PM +0800, Xin Long wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 11:56 PM Corey Minyard <minyard@acm.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've stumbled upon a strange problem with SCTP and IPv6. If I create an
>>> sctp listening socket on :: and set the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option on it,
>>> then I make a connection to it using ::1, the connection will drop after
>>> 2.5 seconds with an ECONNRESET error.
>>>
>>> It only happens on SCTP, it doesn't have the issue if you connect to a
>>> full IPv6 address instead of ::1, and it doesn't happen if you don't
>>> set IPV6_V6ONLY. I have verified current end of tree kernel.org.
>>> I tried on an ARM system and x86_64.
>>>
>>> I haven't dug into the kernel to see if I could find anything yet, but I
>>> thought I would go ahead and report it. I am attaching a reproducer.
>>> Basically, compile the following code:
>> The code only set IPV6_V6ONLY on server side, so the client side will
>> still bind all the local ipv4 addresses (as you didn't call bind() to
>> bind any specific addresses ). Then after the connection is created,
>> the client will send HB on the v4 paths to the server. The server
>> will abort the connection, as it can't support v4.
>>
>> So you can work around it by either:
>>
>> - set IPV6_V6ONLY on client side.
>>
>> or
>>
>> - bind to the specific v6 addresses on the client side.
>>
>> I don't see RFC said something about this.
>> So it may not be a good idea to change the current behaviour
>> to not establish the connection in this case, which may cause regression.
>
> Ok, I understand this. It's a little strange, but I see why it works
> this way.
I don't. I would expect it to work as I described in my email.
Could someone explain me how and why it is behaving different from
my expectation?

Best regards
Michael

> Thanks,
>
> -corey
>

>>> gcc -g -o sctptest -Wall sctptest.c
>>>
>>> and run it in one window as a server:
>>>
>>> ./sctptest a
>>>
>>> (Pass in any option to be the server) and run the following in another
>>> window as the client:
>>>
>>> ./sctptest
>>>
>>> It disconnects after about 2.5 seconds. If it works, it should just sit
>>> there forever.
>>>
>>> -corey
>>>

>>> #include <stdio.h>
>>> #include <stdbool.h>
>>> #include <string.h>
>>> #include <unistd.h>
>>> #include <fcntl.h>
>>> #include <sys/select.h>
>>> #include <arpa/inet.h>
>>> #include <netinet/sctp.h>
>>> #include <sys/types.h>
>>> #include <sys/socket.h>
>>> #include <netdb.h>
>>>
>>> static int
>>> getaddr(const char *addr, const char *port, bool listen,
>>> struct addrinfo **rai)
>>> {
>>> struct addrinfo *ai, hints;
>>>
>>> memset(&hints, 0, sizeof(hints));
>>> hints.ai_flags = AI_ADDRCONFIG;
>>> if (listen)
>>> hints.ai_flags |= AI_PASSIVE;
>>> hints.ai_family = AF_UNSPEC;
>>> hints.ai_socktype = SOCK_STREAM;
>>> hints.ai_protocol = IPPROTO_SCTP;
>>> if (getaddrinfo(addr, port, &hints, &ai)) {
>>> perror("getaddrinfo");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> *rai = ai;
>>> return 0;
>>> }
>>>
>>> static int
>>> waitread(int s)
>>> {
>>> char data[1];
>>> ssize_t rv;
>>>
>>> rv = read(s, data, sizeof(data));
>>> if (rv == -1) {
>>> perror("read");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>> printf("Read %d bytes\n", (int) rv);
>>> return 0;
>>> }
>>>
>>> static int
>>> do_server(void)
>>> {
>>> int err, ls, s, optval;
>>> struct addrinfo *ai;
>>>
>>> printf("Server\n");
>>>
>>> err = getaddr("::", "3023", true, &ai);
>>> if (err)
>>> return err;
>>>
>>> ls = socket(ai->ai_family, ai->ai_socktype, ai->ai_protocol);
>>> if (ls == -1) {
>>> perror("socket");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> optval = 1;
>>> if (setsockopt(ls, SOL_SOCKET, SO_REUSEADDR,
>>> (void *)&optval, sizeof(optval)) == -1) {
>>> perror("setsockopt reuseaddr");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> /* Comment this out and it will work. */
>>> if (setsockopt(ls, IPPROTO_IPV6, IPV6_V6ONLY, &optval,
>>> sizeof(optval)) == -1) {
>>> perror("setsockopt ipv6 only");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> err = bind(ls, ai->ai_addr, ai->ai_addrlen);
>>> if (err == -1) {
>>> perror("bind");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> err = listen(ls, 5);
>>> if (err == -1) {
>>> perror("listen");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> s = accept(ls, NULL, NULL);
>>> if (s == -1) {
>>> perror("accept");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> close(ls);
>>>
>>> err = waitread(s);
>>> close(s);
>>> return err;
>>> }
>>>
>>> static int
>>> do_client(void)
>>> {
>>> int err, s;
>>> struct addrinfo *ai;
>>>
>>> printf("Client\n");
>>>
>>> err = getaddr("::1", "3023", false, &ai);
>>> if (err)
>>> return err;
>>>
>>> s = socket(ai->ai_family, ai->ai_socktype, ai->ai_protocol);
>>> if (s == -1) {
>>> perror("socket");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> err = connect(s, ai->ai_addr, ai->ai_addrlen);
>>> if (err == -1) {
>>> perror("connect");
>>> return -1;
>>> }
>>>
>>> err = waitread(s);
>>> close(s);
>>> return err;
>>> }
>>>
>>> int
>>> main(int argc, char *argv[])
>>> {
>>> int err;
>>>
>>> if (argc > 1)
>>> err = do_server();
>>> else
>>> err = do_client();
>>> return !!err;
>>> }

  Last update: 2020-06-22 20:03    [W:0.078 / U:0.136 seconds]