SubjectRe: linux-next: manual merge of the block tree with the rdma tree

On 6/3/2020 12:37 AM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 6/2/20 1:09 PM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

Yes, I'll send it in 2 weeks.

Actually I hoped the iSER patches for CQ pool will be sent in this
series but eventually they were not.

This way we could have taken only the iser part and the new API.

I saw the pulled version too late since I wasn't CCed to it and it was
already merged before I had a chance to warn you about possible conflict.

I think in general we should try to add new RDMA APIs first with
iSER/SRP and avoid conflicting trees.

>>> Was going to comment that this is probably how it should have been
>>> done to begin with. If we have multiple conflicts like that between
>>> two trees, someone is doing something wrong...
>> Well, on the other hand having people add APIs in one tree and then
>> (promised) consumers in another tree later on has proven problematic
>> in the past. It is best to try to avoid that, but in this case I don't
>> think Max will have any delay to get the API consumer into nvme in two
>> weeks.
> Having conflicting trees is a problem. If there's a dependency for
> two trees for some new work, then just have a separate branch that's
> built on those two. For NVMe core work, then it should include the
> pending NVMe changes.

I guess it's hard to do so during merge window since the block and rdma
trees are not in sync.

I think it would have been a good idea to add Jens to CC and mention
that we're posting code that is maintained by 2 different trees in the
cover latter.

  Last update: 2020-06-03 00:42    [W:0.085 / U:1.900 seconds]