SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Btrfs updates for 5.8, part 2
On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 2:29 PM Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 02:57:01PM +0200, David Sterba wrote:

> > > Pulled. Are people discussing how to make iomap work for everybody?
> > > It's a bit sad if we can't have the major filesystems move away from
> > > the old buffer head interfaces to a common more modern one..
> >
> > Yes, it's fixable and we definitely want to move to iomap. The direct to
> > buffered fallback would fix one of the problems, but this would also
> > mean that xfs would start doing that. Such change should be treated more
> > like a feature development than a bugfix, imposed by another filesystem,
> > and xfs people rightfully complained.
>
> We can trivially key that off a flag at least for 5.8. I suspect the
> fallback actually is the right thing for XFS in the long run for that
> particular case.

We also have another regression (a deadlock) [1] introduced by the patchset.
I haven't looked into detail to figure out if it can be completely
solved in btrfs or if it would need a change on iomap.
Goldwyn was looking into it, but I don't know if he made any progress.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-btrfs/CAL3q7H4F9iQJy3tgwZrWOKwenAnnn7oSthQZUMEJ_vWx3WE3WQ@mail.gmail.com/#t

--
Filipe David Manana,

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right.”

  Last update: 2020-06-15 15:41    [W:0.047 / U:0.268 seconds]